Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel cells street legal in NY??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, Jan 17, 2002.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

My gas tank has taken a hell of a beating over the last year and it's down to about 25 gallons instead of 31 so I figure it's about time to replace it. I know, I should have a skid plate... I'm workin on it (been saying that for the last year!). I was flipping through the new Summit and saw 20 gallon fuel cells that are 20"x10"x10" and figured I could fit 2 of them in place of the stock gas tank, then run a dual tank kit. My only question is whether they're street legal or not?? The rest of my truck isn't really all that legal but I figure this is something they could really nail me on if they wanted to. I don't see why they'd be illegal, they're safer than regular tanks aren't they? I figured I should check into this before I go and drop $300 on fuel cells.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Its certainly not something thats done during inspection!
    If you stick two fuel cells under where the fuel tank used to be, and just cover it with a layer of sheet metal, I dont forsee a problem....

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's kind of what I had in mind. I'll finally build a skidplate during the install so that would help hide them too. I'd like to find a larger fuel cell too, more like 30 gallons. That way I don't have to deal with the dual kit and another pump. External pumps are expensive enough, I'd rather not have to buy two! I guess I will If I have too though.

Joe

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Wow, I just read my first post, what the heck was I smoking last night?!? There's no way a 20 gallon tank is 20x10x10! Too bad my brain shuts off after 1 am! haha

Joe

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

http://www.nwmp.com/catalog.htm

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by m j on 01/17/02 08:17 AM.</FONT></P>