Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel cells

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryan22re, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

since i have done my 63's on the back and put in my 14 bolt, my fuel tank has to go. i want to lay a piece of steel along the bottom of the frame and cut out the floor to not have the fuel cell/tank not stick up into the bed so much. the bottom line is that my current tank simply wont fit into the hole i want to put it in. which is about 26 3/4" x 20" 21. so i have been looking at fuel cells. everything i find is either circle track or drag racing. the drag cells are too small, and the circle track cells are too much money.

ive found this one but man i wasnt planning on spending that much money, plus it doesnt have a level sender:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jaz-32-Gallon-Fuel-Cell-Gas-Tank-Red-270-532_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33556QQitemZ8025685595QQrdZ1

so ive been thinking about building my own. well, when i say that, i mean buying some alum, laying out the design and having the guy at work weld it up. dimensions would be 24"W x 20"L x 14"H which would give me about 29 gallons. just the alum for the top bottom and sides would be $125 that would be .080 alum. plus id have to buy some kind of filler, some an fittings and hoses, modify my sending unit and find some kind of electrical bulkhead to pass four wires through. so i would bet it would get into the $200-250 range.

anybody have any suggestions? besides a 16 gallon tank and two 5 gallons jerrycans? which, would still be less than my current capacity. if i made it out of steel to save some cash, what coult i coat the inside with to keep corrosion/rust from buildint up? stock tanks are galvanized right?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

bueller?

need some input here...

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Stand by one......let me find a thread for you.

4. stallion85

5. stallion85

1 more thing....did you look through Jegs or Summit? 2 of my friends got aluminum cells from them for pretty cheap. A lot less than I paid for my Bling Jaz fuel cell.....

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. i looked at jegs and summit. looks like 20 gallon max that would fit in the space that i have got. plus it would cost about the same as me making one in the 30 gallon range.

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

did anybody ever get anywhere with the weighted swinging pickup?

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Didnt Steve look into using a factory fuel tank from a s 10 or something? I would like to get down to about 15-20 gallons but dont really want it in the bed area

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

boat tanks..

I'd go to a boat supply place and look at their listings of gas tanks in the catalogs..I found a place 3/4 of a mile from my house that has about 70 different styles of poly gas tanks,some custom fit,some universal..all different shapes and sizes too,and most have the gauge built right into the top of the tank too..:D

My brother's 60 VW Beetle was running on a 15 gallon laquer thinner drum used for a gas tank for quite awhile, until I found out about the boat tanks!..found one that fit real close in the OEM "hole"...only cost 58 bucks!.:crazy: