Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel connections at tank

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by mechted, May 14, 2005.

1. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Hi
    was attempting to replace the fuel pump on my 98, when i got the tank down and looked at removing the fuel lines, i was stumped as to how to get them off without destroying them. It looks like they are one way pop-in/collet like connections. Anyone have this problem before or know of the correct tool to remove them?

for now, i just reassembled everything, without replacing the pump. Would appreciate any help you guys can offer

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

need special tool to pop in and release clips. if the top of the sender is white in color then go get a ford fuel line tool and modify it to clear the gm plastic support on the bottom side of the fuel lines from the sender. i had to do this one time . take your time and it will work. or if thay have the correct tool out then get that one insted. at my time thay hadnt had one in the aftermarket yet.

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Are you replacing the whole pump/sender unit like most do? If you are heres what I do and suggest you do the same. Since you wont be re-using the sender you can just cut the plastic lines after the connection then use the tool or a small screwdriver to get the ends out of the fuel lines once the tank is out of the way. This makes it 10x easier.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks guys, i had to :grind: the tool to fit around the connectors, but i got the damn connections off and the pump replaced!
    your help is VERY much appreciated :D

daleearnhardt01... wish i had thought of that before i spend an hour tinkering with the damn things... "next time" i guess

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

like i said it will work with just a few extra seconds of time. cool :cool1: