Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Ecomony

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave, Jun 2, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Registered Member

Anyone out there running this combo??

454/350trans/205 t-case/4.10s/38 1/2 Swampers

What type of fuel economy (or lack there of) could I expect? I I'm looking into a truck w/this setup, and crying every time I drive past my dad's gas station, who is charging $1.99/gallon for REGULAR UNLEADED (as in 87 octane). Will this do any better than a 350 ci with this combo?

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i have a 454 in my 85k5,one thing i noticed is that the 454 moves my k5 with very little effert.i had a gm 300hp-350 in it and got 11-12.5 mpg,now with the 454 i still get 10-12 mpg.things to do to increasr mpg are as simple as a good ignition system,i think the best money i have spent on mods to my k5 would be the msd dist(8360) and the msd 6al box and the msd blaster 2 coil.from day one i could fell the improvement.so we have to decide between more power(which i personaly like)or better mpg.but then who buys a k5 for the good fuel economy!!!

BIGBLOCK MAN

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anybody else feel a little leery about a 350 behind a 454? Especially with 38's and 4.10 gears? I always thought that's what the 400 was for...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i have had both t350 and t400 behind bigblocks 4x4,it really depends on what you are going to do with the truck.as a daily driver and offroading once in a while,i think a well built t350 would work fine,if you are really going to punish your truck then go with the t400,it takes less horsepower to turn the t350 then the t400.the t400 is much stronger and will take a lot more abuse,but for a daily driver the t350 should work fine untill you can upgrade to the t400 if thats what you need.

BIGBLOCK MAN

5. Dave

Dave Registered Member

I really was referring to the engine. Is a 350 enough to power a truck such as that, or is a 454 the way to go???? Thanks for the info either way.......I'll keep it in mind :)

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

6. J.R.

J.R. Guest

A WELL BUILT 350 WILL GET YOU DOWN THE ROAD,BUT FOR RAW POWER THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A BIGBLOCK!!!!!

BIGBLOCK MAN