Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Filter for TBI engines??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Apr 13, 2000.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever changed the fuel filter on a TBI blazer before? I have read some where you are supposed to let the pressure out of the line before removing the filter. If so how and where do you release the pressure at?

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Naaa. I've changed mine a couple of times. Nothing to it. You might spill a little gas down your arm but I've never bleed the system before I changed any of mine. Just crawl under the truck, take the little sucker off and stick a new one on. Takes me about 3 min.

Kyle
    89K5

3. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Thanks man, that is what i figured. I just wanted to be careful not to mess anyhting up.

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

don't strip the nut on there either

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

It's simple. It's on the right side on the frame. I had a wonderful time changing mine. My friend got a mouth full of gas and then to add to the excitement my uncle lit the gas on the ground on fire. HAHA Oh well.

"Crutch" Huckins
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

In light of the "kid"s experience with flaming driveways, I must say HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER IN REACH! The last thing you need is to burn your truck down while you're under it...

IRT the fuel pressure, the TBI's have a pressure relief valve in the line. Not like some vehicles (93 Plymouth Laser[​IMG]) that make a gasoline rainbow when you crack the fittings loose!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

7. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Ok, it could be that I'm just getting old, or the fact I'm a Fire Fighter, but you should unplug the fuel pump. D/S on the rear just inside the frame near the rear shock. Start the truck, it will run for about 3 sec (if your lucky) and this will remove the pressure from the line. Otherwise, you will have aprox 32psi in that line. Fuel filters are made from alum. for a good reason. Alum. is "non-sparking" metal. You can bump, ding or hit the filter with out any worry of causing a spark. I'd suggest removing the anchor bolt to the chassis first though. That is a steel bolt, and could cause a spark. Also, you may want to put a drain pan under the area of the filter. And lastly, don't tilt it after removing it. You will lose about 1/2pt. of fuel on the ground from it. If you have a mower around, this is a good time to add a little more fuel. Just tilt the filter in the proper direction or you will dump your filtered crap into your mower tank.

Best of luck,

Corey
    88K5

(don't forget to replug in the fuel pump!)

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez