Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel filter goen bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 5, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Whats the sign of a fuel filter needing replacment(quadrajet) and its it better to get the inline fuel filter?

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say you would feel the motor running sluggish lack of power. I would rather have a inline filter, In fact I used to take out the Q-Jet filter and put in a inline filter, For the more filter area

Eric.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

if the engine some times runs alright but some times cuts out could that be a sign?

4. Highlander

Yes it could very well be that
    Maybe it's time for a good tune-up And over haul the carb when you replace everything else.

Eric

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

With a carb, the engine will starve for fuel at high RPM's when the fuel filter is clogged. It will usually idle fine and drive OK until you really stomp the gas. Then the fuel level drops in the float bowls because the pump can't get gas through the filter fast enough to keep 'em full. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Q-jets have a filter built into the housing where the fuel line attaches, but it's a small filter than can clog quickly if you have junk in the tank. You can splice a larger filter into the line ahead of the carb and leave the stock filter in the carb as a last line of defense. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Highlander

Thats what I wanted to say haha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think inline is best.i actually just replaced mine.i felt a big difference in the way my truck now runs.you can get a fram clear one for 3 bucks and you can tell when it needs to be replaced because you can see through it and see how dirty the filter element is.