Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Filter location...???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrdrinksalil, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I bought a fuel filter from summit and was wondering about the location I want to mount it. I have a 350 w/ a mechanical fuel pump. I want to mount the fuel filter slightly above the outlets on the fuel cell, and slightly higher that the fuel pump. (on the frame rail right above the rear bumpstop). Will this be a problem or does the fuel need to be gravity fed to the pump?

Here's a pic of the fuel cell location. I want the filter to be up inside the frame rail above the rear bumpstop.

[​IMG]

Here is the fuel filter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1501&N=700+400304+115&autoview=sku

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With a mechanical pump the filter needs to be after the pump. Install an inline somewhere between the pump and carb.

3. duallyjams

duallyjams 1/2 ton status

In the racing world the fuel filter always is first also in a perfect world you what the fuel outlet and line with the filter at the same hight.you can mount it the way you what but that will depend on how good your pump is if it is stock it wont be happy and will have trouble if you have a good after market one you should be find.

4. mrdrinksalil

I just mounted it inside the frame rail behind the rear springs front hanger. I guess it should be fine there... I'll post a pic in a min. It is a stock pump. I also have a clear screen filter to go between the pump and the carb.

5. mrdrinksalil

Here's the filter.

[​IMG]

6. 4X4HIGH

In the racing world most everyone is running an electric pump which would be fine to have the filter first, but with a mechanical pump the filter needs to be after the pump.

7. mrdrinksalil

I'll let you know for sure when it doesn't run.... Problem is, motor wont be running for about a month

8. 4X4HIGH

The engine will run with the filter before the pump but you are stressing the pump. A mechanical pump isn't designed to have to suck fuel through a filter, it is designed to push fuel.