Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel filter question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jan 31, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

can you put a fuel filter before the mechanical fuel pump? someone i talked to thinks that it will cause the pump to wear faster because it has to pull the fuel threw the filter instead of push it.

it would probably go near the tank somewhere.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did it that way for a long time. It didn't seem to hurt the pump life any to me. I had a standard generic plastic see threw filter about 2 feet outside my tank for years.

Harley

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sweet, time to get a filter and plumb it in. i don;t care for the in carb filter

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats how mine are!

I have a small inline gas filter mounted right at the tank,on both my diesel 82 K20 and the 74 K20,to prevent any crap from getting into the fuel pump and lines before the regular stock filters--the diesel has an electric pump in addition to the stock lift pump---
    I have always wondered why they have no filter other than the "sock" in the gas tank before the fuel pump,you'd think it would help keep stuff from clogging the pump--it might make the pump work a little harder,but I cant say I've had too change a fuel pump sooner than usual because of the additional gas filter,I'd rather keep any water and crap before the fuel pump than let it go thru the whole fuel system--
    And I remove and leave out those idiotic "in the carb" filters GM uses,its just an invitation to stripped threads on the fuel inlet to change that one more than once--and the design of them sucks anyway,the spring allows the filter to be pushed aside and let crud go right past it,when it clogs up....:crazy:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I doubt you are saving the fuel pump by putting another filter inline. The way the thing works (to my understanding, never had one apart) coupled with the size of the fuel lines, indicates to me that small amounts of junk passing through it won't hurt anything, definitely not plug it up.

The stock pumps last 100K miles plus without any additional filter stuff, I doubt you can ask for more from a part like that.

Probably could have done a better job with the carb filter, but you have to agree that making something the way GM did, which allows idiots to keep driving even if they never change the filter, is fairly ingenious. Besides, it prevents further fittings in the fuel system, which is definitely an advantage.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I second that. I'll be adding one with the addition of my big fuel tank. Who knows what kinda crap the carb filter doesnt pick up.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I did for awhile , didn't hurt a thing . If you can blow though it , a pump can definitely draw through it :k5: :k5:

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

My biggest reason was I put in is I am using a custom, fully welded tank so ther eis a possibility of welding slag or metal floaties in the tank, yeh I flushed it out but you never know!