Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Filter Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scavenger, Sep 7, 2004.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Mar 31, 2000

I have a 1989 Chevy Astro Van that I need to replace the fuel filter on. It is located under the vehicle, and has become quite corroded. I sprated it with PB Blaster and let it sit over night but the next day the fittings still would not budge. I then soaked it again and let it sit for two days because I wanted to avoid rounding off the nuts on the fittings. The fittings still would not budge and I became so frustrated the fear of rounding off the nuts gave way to that sucker is coming off theory. Well I rounded off the nuts and now I need some advice. I think I will have to cut the pressurised lines from the filter. After cutting the lines I will need to find some type of new fittings for the lines that will allow me to safely attach the new filter. I really don't want to have to buy new OEM fuel lines. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.........thanks
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Unfortunately,this is a common dilema on many newer GM vehicles(actually almost every newer vehilce with the filter underneath,especially if its near the tires where salt srays on the filter.You might get the rounded nuts loose with vise grips,if you can get them near it--if you do end up cutting the lines there are repair ends available--I've seen them at autozone and Napa,they usually consist of a peice of line with the correct original ends,and a compression type fitting to join them to the original tubing.I have seen many mechanics use fuel injection hose and multiple clamps and a different filter with barb type fittings instead of the threaded original type,but any jerry rigging here can be deadly,if you do that be sure the hose and the filter are rated for fuel injection pressures--I wouldnt try to mickey mouse it-there's enough things to worry about driving nowadays,wondering if the fuel line hose is going to pop off and turn into a flamethrower shouldnt be one of them! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif