Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel filter replacement

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cegusman, Jul 2, 2001.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am planing on changing my fuel filters and wanted to know if I would have to prime the fuel lines. Also I need to replace a rubber fuel hose (about 3 inch's) and also wanted to know if I would have to prime the fuel lines. If so how do you prime them?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The easiest thing you can do is buy one of those cheap fuel pumps for carbureted cars at a place like autozone. They are about 20 bucks if I remember right. Just cut out part of the fuel line by the frame rail below the passenger door and put the pump in its place. The wiring is very simple as is the mounting of the pump. This pump serves two purposes. First, its a backup to your mechanical lift pump. Second, when you replace or drain a filter and need to reprime, just open the fitting on the top of the filter housing and turn on the ingition to turn on the pump. Have someone watch the fitting and when fuel starts to come out shut if off. Its now primed. This is one of the best and easiest mods Ive done and Im very happy with it.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just have some Diesel fuel around. Fill the filters before you put em on. Free and its easy....
    If you don't prime them you have something called air lock. Not good.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

That works great SK15, IF it's a regular "spin on" filter not one of GM's infamous box style units.

The way to prime is pull the pink fuel solenoid wire on the injection pump. Open the top "bleeder" valve on your fuel filter. Have someone crank the engine while you watch the bleeder valve. The second fuel squirts out close the valve and stop cranking the engine (needless to say don't cook your starter, let it cool down if you need multiple attempts). Connect the fuel solenoid wire back up and start the engine, hold a good RPM for a minute or two (don't let it just idle), this purges any small bubbles.

If you really screw up and get the injection pump air bound you'll have to crack the line at each injector to bleed air (while cranking/fuel solenoid ON).

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

5. childs

childs Registered Member

i change mine while the engine is warm so it starts more easily. There will be a little fuel left in the line to start and run for a few seconds. have someone help you. While they start the truck you shoot 2 cans of wd40 into the intake with the air filter off for a direct shot. You may also try hand regulating fuel into the intake.

DE k5