Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I bought a new clear in-line fuel filter to put on my burb and I want to put it next to the carb and on top of the motor so its visible and so I can get rid of the in-carb filter or use both, I don't care. I just want to put in the clear in-line filter. What I need is some pics of where you have mounted yours and where/how you ran your fuel line down to the pump. Anybody have any pics?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When I had my last Chevelle (laguna) I ran one. I took mine off. Had to service it too often. I used a cheap Fram filter on the wall at auto parts store. On my blazer I use the filter in the carb, lasts almost a year, and I can have all metal line from pump to carb.

Now if your intent on running one you could cut your hardline about the length of the filter and some for fittings. Then re flare each end of line, and thread the line right into ends of filter where the rubber hose nipples thread in. Just some thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I can't stand those stupid in-carb filter POS's, thats why i'm going to run an in-line filter, they are much better IMO, plus you can see in it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Alot of people don't like the in-carb filters, but they do work much better than those chrome clear tube jobbies, they also have a tendancy to leak. If ya want an in-line filter, i would go with the standard replacement in-lines with the paper filters inside them, semi-clear hard plastic type. iI believe they work better than the clear glass tube ones.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The one i'm putting in is not the chrome plastic one or the glass ones, it is the clear plastic paper filter type.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    it is the clear plastic paper filter type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my by all means use it then . You can get those with different configurations on hose nipples, like one out the bottom and one out the side. That way it comes out carb and turns towards your hard line. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Jeff, I ditched my in-carb filter years ago. They are a PITA to replace and if you f*k up the threads in the least little bit, yer screwed AFA leaks.

I did exactly what you want to do and cut the tube up by the carb for the clear filter. I had a bad experience with that setup. I accidentally cracked the housing and gas started leaking onto the engine....long story short...it caught fire, I wet my pants...had to buy new shorts...

Anyway to make sure that would never happen again, I moved it and plumbed it in right after the fuel pump. I have a clamp that connects to the frame that holds the filter (the filter is NOT on the frame). The clamp has some flexibility to it, but it's rigid enough to hold the filter in place right where it's easy to see and get to to replace. That way if anything does hit and it leaks, the gas spills out onto the ground and not all over a hot engine. I'll snap a couple pics tonight for you.

BTW, I have switched to a metal NAPA filter, too many instances of cracked filter housings with the other ones.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thanks shane /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif