Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Feb 24, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I am working on my upgrade to EFI and am going to use a external fuel pump, my question is should i put a fuel filter in front of the pump to so i can make sure no junk gets into the pump. I know the pumps don't suck real well but do you guys think that a small filter will still allow the pump to work fine?

2. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I would put a filter in front of the pump to protect the injectors. If your tank has a sock on the pickup you should be ok behind the pump. If not put a good factory style filter behind the pump too. Filters are cheap but efi pumps are not.

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if the pump will still be able to build up the right pressure with a filter before it also. I want to run one before the pump to make sure that it is protected because they are not cheap

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say that yes the pump could build enough pressure to run properly with a fuel filter in front of it, but the problem with a fuel filter before the pump is if the filter should become dirty enough to starve the pump (even a little), it could burn the pump out because EFI pumps use the fuel as a coolant to keep the tempretures it's down.