Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Filter???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FOR MUD, Jan 22, 2007.

1. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just went to change my fuel filter in my 05 HD2500 6.0 Liter 4x4 and can't find it. Where is it located? Checked along the frame rail on the driver side, saw the lines but no filter. Checked under the cowl on the engine. Even checked on top of the tank. The filter I bought looks like the same ones they have been using since 1988.
    Do I need glasses?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

nope you dont need glasses. thay stoped using external filters around 03-04ish. its in the tank. but why the parts stores sell them to ya i dont know. i had one at the shop like this. even called the dealer. thay said same thing no filter then its in the tank.

3. FOR MUD

Well thats about the most stupid thing I've heard in along time. Why in the F would they put it in the tank?
    I work on a lot of Super Dutys at work and they have some small filters in the pick up, so you have to drop the tank and clean them. And then they also have a big filter on the engine, kinda ass backward if you ask me:rolleyes:
    I hope the filter Chevy puts in there is a big one! If not it's going to be fun dropping the tank every 20 to 30k:doah:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

plenty of those trucks running around with 100k+ already, no changing of the "filter". The "filter" is an intank screen as far as I know.

I work on Super Duties a lot, and have no clue what you are talking about. The only engine mounted fuel filters on Super Duties are on the Diesels. Diesels are a whole nother animal. And I'm amazed if anyone is dropping the tank to "clean" the in tank screen. Factory Super Duty filters are mounted on the frame rail. Larger filter near the engine makes WAY more sense to me. Sure it goes through the pump, but the crap doesn't make it to the engine. And you would want the filter that is fitlering more crap to be easy to access and change, no?

we can all say "thats stupid man" all we like, but engineers(however much we may wonder what they were thinking sometimes), don't do stupid **** that is going to damage engines.

Mitsubishis haven't had replaceable fuel filters for I'd say 6 or 7 years now. No issues, many many miles on the cars.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

some auto trannys dont even have a servicable filter in them now. :eek1:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Mitsubishis as well. we have to remove the valve body if we want to change hte filter. You can bet that never happens.

7. FOR MUD

The Super Dutys I am talking about are diesel, I know it's a completely different fuel system, I was just using them as an example. If you ever get one thats has low power and nothing else is working, drop the tank and check inside the pick up assy there are two little filters in there [about the size of your finger] Just did one last week, the tank had a bunch of paint flakes floating around in it.
    I would figure with fuel injection you would need to keep the gas alot cleaner than a carb.
    But like you said they must know what their doing.:rolleyes:

8. FOR MUD

I was under the impression "Super Duty" meant it had a diesel, and a gas was just a F-250 or F-350.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no, they are all "Stupid Duties" from 99+. Diesels are just Diesel Super Duties.

You work on a lot of 7.3Ls, I am guessing? The 6.0s have 2 filters. A frame mounted fuel water seperator inside the HFCM, and a strict fuel filter on top of the engine. Never dropped the tank on a Diesel Super Duty, only gas job. I am not a Diesel tech and have NO desire to be one. Too much hassle and not enough money in it.

10. FOR MUD

You work on a lot of 7.3Ls, I am guessing?

Yep, we are starting to get some 6.0 liters. I have seen the two filters you are talking about, they cost $40+ at NAPA:eek1: We have one Duramax in a 06 [the bosses truck, we all have to drive Fords:mad: ] and the air filter cost over $70+ and list's for $120. The only good thing is it only gets changed at 30k.
    I am not a Diesel tech and have NO desire to be one. Too much hassle and not enough money in it.

With all the new reg's that came out, I'm sure the pay scale got to go up.
    Hey hows everything going at work after all the changes? I remember they were giving you a hard time a while back.

11. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

julian I have 64K on mine and the original fuel filter. what I did have to replace was the fuel pressure regulator. $23 and you can change it with a flat head screwdriver in 5 minutes. it starts to leak internally and you will get a long crank when it has sat. basically it floods the engine.

They might have fixed the problem on the newer ones. I only had to start my truck once in the service department before one of the techs recognized it and told me how simple a fix it was. I had dealt with it for months.:doah:

12. FOR MUD

I'm not having any problems, just trying to keep up with the service.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't forsee pay going anywhere but Down. they designed the new 08 Super Duties to make it super easy to remove the cab for working on the engine. So now they will assume everything takes less time. I forsee some really crappy labor times coming up.

Work is going pretty good for me. We had a management change, the new manager saw what I've been doing and gave me a really nice raise. I love working on Mitsubishis. Only problem is, the only thing the new manager has done right is give me a raise, haha. Everything else he screws up time and time again, its bad. Place is going down the tubes, but whatever I will just ride it out and go to as much Mitsu factory training as I can get before it sinks.

Oh and over the counter from Ford the fuel filters for a 6.0 are $80. The Air fillters are bull. I hate those things. Pain in the ass to change, and I can't stand the idea of a "long life air filter". The newer focuses have a 110,000 mile air fitler. You have to replace the entire filter housing, there is no replacement filter. Its retarded.