Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Filter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lance, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I was driving the K-5 last weekend and ran her kind of low on fuel w/ the intentions of putting some napathylene (sp?) in the tank to clean the injectors. I basically coasted into the station and put the cleaner in, but now she hesitates real bad like some trash got sucked into the filter. I don't drive her enough to run through the gas in a hurry, but would like to get this fixed ASAP. So anybody got any tips for me on how to change a fuel filter w/ a full tank?

Thanks,

Lance

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

assuming you are talking about the 90 K5 with TBI from your profile, the filter is on the passenger side frame rail. all you need to change it is a wrench set, adjustable wrench, old rags, and of course the new filter. the procedure is listed in the repair manual but if you dont have one simply hold one of the nuts on the fuel line while you loosen the other. once on each side of the filter. put some rags under the filter because some fuel will come out (don't worry this won't drain your tank, only a few ounces). install the new filter and tighten both sides and voila! make sure the arrow on the filter points in the right direction (normally points in the direction of flow which is towards the front), otherwise the filter wont work. oh i forgot, there may be a bracket holding the filter to the frame so you'll need to loosen that with a socket wrench before the filter will come out. hope this helps.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

running tank lower than around 1/4 tank is really hard on fuel pumps and you risk burning them up because it is fuel that lubricates them, you want ot keep as much fuel in a FI vehicle as you possibly can.,

you might have already damaged the pump by now.

good luck

4. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

yeah, i'm talking about the '90 in my profile. thanks for the help, i feel kind of foolish for asking that question. i forgot the fact there was a fuel pump in the tank that's only activated when you cut on the switch and that's what prevents the tank from draining when you remove the fuel filter. duh!!! i guess i had too much holiday cheer and killed the part of my brain that remembered that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif oh well!!

thanks again,

lance

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Be careful, you will almost certainly take a shower in fuel! The pump will be off so there will not be pressure on the line but all of the fuel in the line (on BOTH sides of the filter) will pour out and make a mess so have the old filter bracket loose (as mentioned) and have the new filter ready to go back on quickly.

Be prepared for the inevitable fuel spill with oil dry (or similar) and tie a rag around your wrist to keep gas from running down your arm.

Edit: as nice as that truck is I can't believe no one has bought it yet! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

thanks for the tips and compliments!

7. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

oh and please no smoking on the job /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif