Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel filtration...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jarheadk5, Jul 4, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

What's everyone doing for fuel filtration? Prefilter after the tank, before the lift pump (LP)? Primary filter between the LP and IP? What kind of micron ratings are you using (if you know)? Pics and mfgr/part #'s would be helpful...

In the plumbing dept. at work, we've got heating oil filters for home oil furnaces for like $15. Metal cap and bowl, big felt-looking filter element, 3/8" NPT fittings. They're UL-listed, so they shouldn't be unsafe. Does this sound OK to use as a pre-filter?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

what voltage? 115V won't do much good on truck unless you keep it plugged in.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a spin on and a Racor side by each between the lift pump and the IP. The Racor is 2 micron. The filter housing could be stock early 6.2 stuff, I got it from the 83 C30 donor rig.

The Racor has a clear plastic lower bowl area with a petcock so you can visually see any water accumulation and drain it off.

Rene

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

oh, and don't run the pre filter before the lift pump on the firewall... bleeding it out is a pain in the butt that way.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is my set-up.

[​IMG]

kinda blurry...:doah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to see, but there is an amber colored bowl on the bottom of the Racor.

[​IMG]

I couldn't find any part numbers on the housings. The filter housing on the right does have the "AC" logo cast into the top though.

Rene

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have those...

All my diesel has is the stock spin on type filter/water separator,and a universal inline 3/8 hose gas filter right after the fuel tank,as a "pre filter"...never had any troubles with gelling or anything else..I think the fuel tank has a "sock" filter in it as well...

I took off and saved 2 of those home heating oil tank filter housings that use a cartridge filter that looks like a ball of string!...I hesitated to use them on my truck,to me they looked like they would leak fairly easy...

I suppose since #2 heating oil is the same differance as diesel they would work ok,they dont leak on the home oil tank--but they are gravity fed,and under suction,where as on my truck,the universal electric fuel pump would pressurize it to 5-7 lbs..

.I wasnt very impressed by the gasket on the "bowl",it did not look like it would seal that good under pressure(poor contact with the sealing surface)...it would be nice to buy your fuel filters and gaskets at Home Depot,but I thought it was best to stick with the OEM setup,with the inline gas filter as a prefilter...I also use the same type of gas filter on my shops oil fired hot air furnace,since I run it off a metal barrel rather than a huge 250 gallon tank...have never had a clogging problem on either application.. :crazy: ..

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Not a heated oil filter... a heating oil filter.

Hell, I need a new filter for my home oil burner anyway; maybe at the end of summer I'll just buy one and try it out before I hook it up, with some pressure going into it from a cheapo electric fuel pump and a gauge. See if she leaks or not, and see what the pressure drop across the filter is.
    I smell an experiment!