Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Gage Acting Wierd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ron_mac01, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ron_mac01

ron_mac01 Registered Member

I JUST RE-INSTALLED MY FUEL TANK AND EVERYTHING WENT WELL. GETTING TO THE POINT I PUT A FULL TANK IN AND IT WENT PASS THE (F) AND IVE BEEN DRIVING FAR AND THE GAGE WONT COME DOWN BELOW (.25 FULL) ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS???????????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

this might be a dumb suggestion but maybe the float is stuck in the tank?, or any links attached to that might be stuck :doah:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ground!

Make sure the ground wire is,good, connected, and the rust is scraped off where it bolts to the body..if its not that,then it must be the sending unit is bad,or the float might be stuck,like Shaun said.. :crazy:

4. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Someone on the forum told me to spike the ground to the chassis and not the tank, and it worked for me.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

TAKE OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK????

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

so the ground for the fuel guage is all the way at the tank? could i cut it and put the ground somewhere else? my guage does the same thing. would it affect any other guages? my oil pressure guage has been stuck in the same place since i got the truck.

7. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

I don't think it's the ground from the gauge (why not ground it somewhere closer) so I think it runs from the sending unit. I've never taken one apart so I can't say for sure.

What I've got is a wire that runs from somewhere on top of the fuel tank to a screw on the outside of the tank, on the front left side, up high. It's clearly a ground wire.

8. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

What are your thoughts regarding my fuel gauge issue...91 GMC Jimmy...the fuel gauge goes to half full when I fill up the tank and goes down from there. It seems to work, however, when at empty I fill up ~25gallons to top it off. I haven't looked up the specs on the size of the tank, but isn't it what 30-35 gallons?

9. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

I have the same problem...I think my sending unit is bad though. I will redo the wire connections when I replace it. For now, I just fill up at 200 miles regardless so I know I wont run out of gas....not that I havent figured out that I needed to do that the hard way!! Psycho, I had the same problem recently with my oil pressure guage and replace my sensor. As I replaced the sensor, I found the wire was broken and causeing it to indicate peggerd to the right.

10. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I just had the same problem when reinstalling my tank, i checked everything or so i thought. I forgot about the most obvious thing, the fuse. I replaced it and now it works fine.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ground the sending unit gauge wire back at the tank connector and see if your gauge pegs. If it does, it's not the gauge. If it doesn't, the problem is forward of that connector.

12. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Also, it appears the clear plastic cover over the guages appears foggy, as the PO applied a corrosive cleaner to it at some point. Can the clear lenses be purchased new, aside from buying a complete guage assembly?

13. mimosaid

mimosaid Newbie

It might be a bad shunt resistor that is installed at the back of the gauge.