Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel gauge help... please!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by koldsimer, May 5, 2005.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well after swapping a 465/205/14/60 combo into my blazer, I cannot get my gas gauge to work. The rest of the truck is working nearly flawlessly but I cannot figure this gas gauge out. Before I swapped the pedals for the 465 into the truck, I disconnected several wires and harnesses from the steering column. There are two wires coming from the back of the instrument cluster near the gauge that I can't figure out where they were plugged into. I assume they are why my needle is in the 3 o clock position- open ground, right? I can't find any obvious place to hook it back up!? So after building my entire truck while only doing searches for info and help, here I am asking a typical dumbass question. Any suggestions?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What year are you dealing with?

The gauge wiring all years I'm aware of goes in through the cluster connector. If anything is "external" of that connector it should be things like diesel wait light, water in fuel light, early 4wd indicator light setup, and thats all I can think of right now. The stock gauge should "plug into" the cluster, (with the metal screws coming out the back, no wires) and make contact with the spring steel that holds the circuit board in place.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I fixed it today! The wire running from the tank was cut near the headers. I was so convinced that the problem was in the dash that I overlooked the true problem. Thanks for the suggestions though.