Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel gauge needle constantly way past full!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, sat. on my way to work my fuel gauge needle decided to rise up way past the full mark. the needle is pointing perfectly horizontal and consistently stays there while my truck is running, if i move the needle it just returns to this position.

i have been told it may be the float in the gas tank. is this probably it or is there something else i should check. within the past 6-8 months both the fuel pump and sending unit on the tank have been replaced. i personally did not replace the sending unit and am not sure if the float was also replaced, though told it should have been.

if it is the float, do i just drop the gas tank, is there anything to know about unhooking the sending unit or does it just come out easily? and what to do about the float.

thanks for any and all help,
    matt

2. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey my truck does that too..well i filled up the tank the other day (well atleast got it kind full) because u know the huge tank is a big chunck out of ur pocket..so i put some money in and the needle went past full it was almost horizontal like u said, but eventually when i drove it started to go down..i have heard that alot of chevys have trouble with their gas gauge..im not sure about ur gas tank..sorry, but its kinda weird to hear somebody has the same problem, except urs is a little different... good luck!

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If it just went there randomly, there may be a short in some wires somewhere...just so you know before you start anything a new sending unit is something like $300.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

usually when the unit is faulty or wire is broken from the unit to the guage then t does that with the needle, checkthe wiring along frame rail, etc

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

My '76 does the same thing.. the other day it worked correctly for a half day then back to being pegged to the 3 o'clock position.. was going to replace the sending unit this week but now I will check the wires /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif dealer has the sending unit for $80.00

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

mine did the same thing and it was a ground wire /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

alright. i'll check the wiring.

thanks a lot,
    matt

8. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

mine crapped out on me a little bit ago. the rest of the gauges went with it tho /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i just took the dash panel off and looked for omething wrong. didnt find a damn thing, but when i put it all back together, everything worked fine /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

maybe i just got lucky, but i thought i would throw it out there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: fuel Gage needle constantly way past full!!

check the ground wire going from the sending unit to the frame thats what mine was /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif