Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Gauge on 91

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by STV, Mar 27, 2001.

1. STV

STV Registered Member

Just bought a 91 Blazer after flipping the 1980 and the fuel gauge will not pass half full when it is filled. It does seem to move toward empty after awhile as the tank gets close to empty. What do you guys think? Sending unit, ground wire, gauge? All comments welcome.

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Take the fuel gauge wire to ground and the fuel gauge should peg on empty. then either disconnect the fuel gauge wire or use a 120 ohm resistor to ground and the gauge should peg on full. I believe that I have the full and empty right. It may be the other way around. Anyway, If the gauge does not react correctly it is bad. If it does react correctly you have a sending unit problem or a poor ground. You can check the ground with an ohm meter if you have one. Chances are that you have a good ground as your fuel pump would not work well if there was a poor ground. The truck does run well doesn't it?

3. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

search for "common problems" ... I wrote up about 5 pages of how-to for the same problem ... enjoy!

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I know the "newer models"" 87-up have a plastic baffle in the gas tank. I am not sure is this true on the older guys. It's very common for this baffle to get lose and bend of get stuck between the float level and the tank. If this happens this just like you are explaining can happen. I've seen this personally on two blazers and one suburban. Two of them would only register the top half of the guage, the burban did the same as yours. Just be werry cause my fuel pump actually got knocked off the sending unit from getting smacked around by this thing in the woods one day. Had to get towed out almost a mile by a jeep :(. Let us all know how it works out.

You call that dirty!?