Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel gauge pegged out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, May 26, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The '73 K-10's fuel gauge pegged out and has stayed there after I was fixing the starter wires. I replaced the splices where someone had taped them together. Any ideas?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You just dissconnected the wire that runs to the sending unit. It runs through the same tube that the starter wires run through. It'll be a pink light gauge wire, and it will run straight back to the sending unit plug on top of the fuel tank. Simply make sure that you didn't pull it off the top of the sending unit, or ground it out, or cut it somewhere :)

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You have an open somewhere. If it was grounded, your guage would read empty. I'm guessing that since you have a K10, you still have saddle tanks. I think this makes your wires a different color(you'd have two anyway), but you should be able follow it up from the tank and trace it up to the switch at least. There should be a spot on the firewall, mines left of the m/c above the engine, where it plugs in.

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What are you complaining about? At least you will always have a full tank of gas :D

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Man, the wiring is butchered up from the PO putting the '73 cab on an '80 chassis. Unfortunately, it is only a virtual reality fuel quantity indicator right now showing full!

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I had a major delema with my dual tank setup...

dont know if this will help you at all but may...
    http://rootbreaker.no-ip.com/PROJECT_NJLEGAL/wiringdiagram/dualgastank_frame.htm

I know that is a dual tank setup...

however from 1 tank should be a ground wire from tank to frame...
    then a brown wire that runs to the front of the truck and through near the alt.... into the cab and to the gauges....

I had alot of problems and had to draw this for me for future reference...
    hope it helps at all.. if not...

sorry...

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have never had probs with a Chevy gas gauge, but have fixed alot of Ford?mopar ones. Every one I have worked on, straight ground to the sending unit makes it read full, not empty. Most of the ones I have fixed, involved the windings on the sending unit breaking, killing the ground path resulting in an empty reading. Sometimes the float will stick, usually in the down position,when the tank has sat empty for a long period of time. Never seen a float stick in the up (full) position, but I guess it is possible.