Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel gauge problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Mar 3, 2004.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I filled up my truck sunday and put 29 gal. in it. My fuel gauge would not go past 3/8 of a tank. I have a 90 350TBI and the tank that was with it. I was told if it did that it was the sending unit. Well today when I was driving home it started to bounce all over. Know it is pas the full mark, its as far right as it can go and does not move when I turn my k5 off or turn it on.
    Could this be the sending unit or the fuel gauge that is f**ked up?
    Yes the instament cluster is out of the 90 along with all of its wiring. Also the gauge worked fine before last sunday.

2. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

Check the wires the tank they get coroaded (can'spell that one) or a broke wire will peg the gauge.

3. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

You might want to check the baffle in the tank as it my have come loose. My gas gauge never worked right till I installed a new fuel pump and found the baffle loose. Works great now.

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Actually mine does this all the time I just give the fuel gage a smackin, just beat it!!!! If when smacking it directly does'nt work then smack the top of the dash right above it that usually works for me.. LOL Come on danny I know you remember how to get military equipment working think of this as the same. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I have check the wires and all the conection and everything is good. Oh and yes Spence I bet the piss out of it like you do a Hummer still nothing. I guess after we move I will drop the tank and check the baffle and I will unhook the gauge and test it with my buddies new one he has.

Thanks for all the help.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

My wifes 87 had the sending unit fall off. She ran out of gas. The gauge still read 1/2 tank. At first i thought the fuel pump went, so i dropped the tank. Felt kinda light!!

7. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

SF87K5,

I got the tank still under that k-5 frame that I got from Big orange. He said it had good set up in the tank. If ya need it buddy............................