Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Gauge WORKS!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_Chin, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Well, I finally went and pulled that big pig gas tank out of my Blazer and found the problem with my fuel level reading: The sender was broken off of the mounting plate that screws to the top of the gas tank and that broke the strap between the variable resistor and the bolt that screws to the sender wire.

I had to fish the majority of the sender out of the tank through the hole to which it mounts. I then had to weld the broken off arm back to the mounting plate. I fabricated a new connection between the sender resistor and the bolt in the mounting plate and bolted it back in. Now I have a working gas gauge!

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Nice to hear you got it working. How long has it been broke? The fuel gage is one of the only gages that works well in my blazer.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Triaged. The gauge has been broken for about 8 months now. It was intermittently broken when I bought the Blazer 3 and a half years ago. I was afraid that I'd have to track down a new sender for the thing. The screwy thing is that the sender's mount was tight to the top of the tank and showed no signs of leakage, but my tank used to leak out of the top when it was filled all of the way up. I didn't find any holes or cracks anywhere near any of the fuel stains on the tank. I haven't filled it all of the way up yet to see if it still leaks.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    First of all congratulations on getting your gauge fixed and second congratualtions for being wealthy enough to fill the tank to the top. That is my goal for someday.. :-) You don't find many wealthy people with the skills and know-how to fix their own stuff anymore.
    Seriously though, there is a sense of security knowing about how much fuel you got these days, especially with the way the bears are attacking people in here in Colorado.. LOL Too hard to out run them on foot and it's already been proven that your are not safe securely zipped inside your tent.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)