Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SVBlazer, Apr 27, 2000.

1. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

My '85 has had this gas gauge problem for several years. Behind the instrument cluster is a "metallic ribbon" connected to the gauges. The "ribbon" has pulled away from the gas gauge. I don't know what chevy used to connect the "ribbon" to the gauges, but the heat in AZ has killed it. I can reach up and push the "ribbon" to the gas gauge and it apparently works fine. However, when I let go the gauge becomes inop.

Any experiences or ideas from the assembled masses?

Thanks!

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Those ribbon cables are a bear, I have pseudo repaired them by using a hot glue gun to hold them down. Otherwise you need to trace the contacts back to where you can get to the wire side if it , then run 2 new wires back to the gauge.Most of the Haynes and Chiltons manuale have enough of a schematic of the wiring system to complete this.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

3. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eagle...The glue gun sounds like the plan. Glue around the edges only or will the glue allow for connectivity between the gauge and the ribbon cable?

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You would have to glue around the edges and any place you can find to get it to hold. No the glue does not have any conductive properties...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]