Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NOT4SHW, May 27, 2001.

1. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Anyone ever had a problem with the factory fuel guage spinning like it's a helicopter blade? Any help would be appreciated.

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

No......but does it actually spin around by itself when the key is on? If so, you have a bad gauge. If it just spins when you move the hand with your finger that's normal.....it's made to spin all the way around.....free air movement or some such name. It uses one constant 12 volt coil to create a magnetic field. Then the other coil varies depending on the resistance of the sender.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

3. DzrtRat67

DzrtRat67 Registered Member

Mine does this too (77 K5)
    Have been told numerous times that this symptom is nearly always due to bad ground at the sending unit. Mine seems to be fine, I even made a small jumper to try and diagnose...still no luck. I'm convinced it's the sending unit. Good Luck.

4. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Thanks for the tip. I've got the ground wire spliced at the gas tank and that makes pefect sense for being the problem, because it started acting up after forging about 4' of water, and it started working yesterday after I messed with the ground.

Thanks!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274,

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

mine started bouncing from e to full when going down the highway. no matter how much was in the tank. i fixed it by replacing the sending unit. if you got a body lift it is a bit easier. good luck...
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.