Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know this is a common topic, but here it goes anyway.

I installed a new tank today, so I got to see how the flakey gauge works with a new sender. With no gas in the tank, the guage was exactly on E (not a mile below like on my other vehicles). I put 5 gallons in: still on E. I put another 5 in (10 total), now it's up above 1/2.

That's as far as I've gotten, but I expect that with it full, it'll be way up beyond full, since it's always been like that before. So, is this normal? My old sending unit was shot, but I guess this is consistent with how it's always been; sits above full after fillup, then drops like crazy by the time it gets to 1/2.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Abnormal. :)

Fuel gauges should be accurate at all times.

However, real world on these trucks shows that the fuel gauge circuit is prone to problems, of course after how many years of use? :) If you've got a new sender in there that you have verified works (you can test the resistance at various fuel levels to make sure the sender is working correctly) then look to the gauge and the assorted wiring at the cluster.

In the experiences I've heard about on here, and had myself, *typically* the sender or sender wiring is the culprit, except when the gauge is "bouncy". Doesn't mean it will be in your case, just the norm.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is normal. It has been like that for every Chevy vehicle i've ever owned.