Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel gauge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mitymouse, Sep 23, 2002.

1. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

I have many little bugs to start working out of this thing so I will start with the fuel gauge it travels way past full and stays there all the time, I believe that is a grounding problem but not sure where to start lookin. Any ideas would be a great help

2. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I've been thru this before. I agree it is a ground problem. Most likely the ground wire is corroded where it connects to the sending unit mount. The problem is you may have to drop the tank to get to it unless you have long skinny arms. A lot of work for a simple fix. You may want to buy new mounting straps and anti squeak pads to make reinstall easier. Run the gas tank to as near empty as you can and have at it. Also, SOMETIMES you can use a jumper wire with alligator clips to make a temporary ground. Do this first to see if this affects the gauge reading before you do the hard work.Good luck and work safe.

3. mitymouse

Hey thanks for the reply I am gonna try that today as far as runnin the level done I am afraid the knock on tank test is not an accurate one but feel I have the level down there I am gonna go ahead and replace the pump/and strainer while I am here so I dont have to come back for awhile

4. mitymouse

the connection on my tank has a two pin connector, One lead is pink and the other is tan with a white tracer is it possible to unplug the weather pack connector and check for continuty across the two and does anyone know which of the two is ground,I can not figure out a damn thing from the back of the cluster with out really sittin down and studing it. I really do need to find a good schmatic

5. mitymouse

I was just reading some of the old posts and believe the lead i am lookin for is the pink one now how should I go about testing it?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Unplug it. Should read empty. Ground it out and it should read full..Or vice versa. I had a chipmonk or tree rat chew through my sender wire and a couple fuel lines.
    THe Gas gages I belive are 80 OHM rated. So anything between 0 and 80 it's Probably an ok sender.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok Grim, got a new scenario for you since were talking fuel gauges. I had to pull my tank and put in a new fuel pump. I thought it had gone out, but it turned out that the wires from the relay had grounded out on the back of the motor. Anyway, when I put it back together and drove it, it would work fine until I get to 1/2 a tank. The needle goes haywire, bouncing back and forth between full and half. After it gets below 3/8 of a tank, it works normally again. Did I screw something up on the sending unit when I pulled the assembly out or what?

8. mitymouse

If I unplug it and do the ground test and the gauge still failes to respond is it safe to assume a bad sender? I hate to trow parts at it and get know where, trying to spend money on good upgrades and not waste on my miner oversites,
    Thanks
    Bill

9. mitymouse

ok guys heres what I got I unpluged it no change still read full, I jumpered the tan and grounded the pink and the gauge moved all the way to empty so what that tells me I am unclear "bad sender"? as you can tell auto. electrical is not my best foot to stand on.......thanks for any help

10. mitymouse

Any one know whats up here?