Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dutterback, Jan 17, 2001.

1. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

could anyone tell me what the most likely cause for the fuel gauge on my 87' suddenly going way past full and refusing to work?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *think* that means the ground is bad for the sending unit. I was looking through my service manual last night, and I just skimmed the fuel gauge check procedure. Each problem associated (incorrect reading, over full, etc) had only one cause, but I think overfull is ground...someone else will probably know for sure.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

How much gas did you put in it?
    I know with my 85 when I put 50 bucks in it, it stays about half an inch past full for days, then drops like hell.!
    Might be a sticky float in the gas tank?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it is a ground problem also check the sending unit and make sure that the wire is pluged into the top off the sending unit they come off very easily also do a search on this topic to get more info

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

I checked the plug it is o.k. (this is really conveniant with a hole in the floor of your blazer) I have a plug with a purple and a black wire, and also one going to ground. they all appear o.k. could it be a ground at the gauge? thanks

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes someplace between the gage and the sending unit you have a broken conection is what it sounds like to me (i could be wrong) now the fun part tracing it out lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Disconnect the pink with going to the tank and see what your gauge does? Then ground it and see if there is a change? If there isn't any difference between the two it sounds like the sending unit is bad,,,,,

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

8. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

Mine does the same thing in my 1991 suburban.

I can tap on the clear plastic gauge face, and make it go to where it should, so I pulled the dashboard apart, and I found that the back of the gauge plugs into a receptical inside the dash like an electrical plug in a house does. So the connection on mine is bad there. I don't know how to fix it, so if you figure it out, let us know!