Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel gauges

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by odee1, May 28, 2004.

1. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

I have just got done swapping in a nv4500 into my 80 model dually that I tow my drag car and jeep with. I have gotten every thing working but I'm having a problem with the fuel gauge wanting to go to full then back to the right spot. Did they change the ohms on the fuel injected trucks? Could it be a ground wire problem in the cluster?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Sounds like an intermittent fault. Either in the sending unit or cluster or whatever. I don't think they changed the ohms at least not by 1980.

3. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

thanks, I thought that I had put in the previous post that I had swapped in the cluster from the 90-91 sub that had the elctronic type speedometer. Everything else is working except for the minor problem with the fuel gauge. I'm gonna run another ground over to the body ground by the door jamb.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No reason to run extra wiring...just use a voltmeter to make sure the circuit for the fuel gauge is good on the circuit board, and check the connector as well...I would be willing to bet that if your oil and voltmeter works, your ground is fine.

I haven't looked at the non-tach clusters lately, but my '81 tach cluster uses the same ground for volts, oil, and fuel. (I'd suspect the same is true of non-tach clusters, only difference perhaps that the large fuel gauge may share ground with the dash bulbs) So if two out of three gauges work, in my case, I know it's not the ground. At least not the ground for the connector.