Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Guage calibration??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

My 85 has the stock sender/ wiring/ guage in it. It was a new tank like 6 yrs ago. Everything was working ducky until a week or so ago.
    The guage started acting up... one day it would be reading overfull, the next 1/2, the next 5/8ths, the next 3/8ths etc. It was all over the place. I replaced the wiring from the cab back under the truck, and added a tank ground wire, and things seemed to be better but not much. It kinda seemed to stabilize around 5/8ths of a tank and move with the truck... example how the tank drops a bit when you climb etc. It actually dropped a bit over the two days also so I thought all was well. Then I ran out of gas last Sunday, indicating half a tank. When I added my jerry can, and got to the gas station I put in 20.00 worth, and the guage moved up and read almost 3/4 tank. Over the last 4 days, I have driven the truck every day, and the guage has steadily dropped as normal towards the half mark. I added 40.00 worth of gas today (50 L) and it moved up to well overfull. It totally seems like either the sender or the guage has been changed to think that half is empty. Has anyone ran into this before? Is there anything I can do? Do you think the guage or the sender might be the one messed up? I suppose the next step would be to yank the dash, run the truck out of gas again, and twist the gas needle back to around empty. Any other options? Is it possible to adjust the calibration of the system?
    Thanks
    Mike

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I'll email you or PM you a fuel guage troubleshooting document I have. Any questions about it, shoot me a PM.

3. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

4. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll email you or PM you a fuel guage troubleshooting document I have. Any questions about it, shoot me a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you also email me that document. Thanks

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Shooting it to you both... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Have you had the dash apart recently? Had something similar once. It turned out to be the needle had gotten bumped and turned on the pin on the gauge itself. Went and filled it full and then set the needle to full and fixed.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Could be a loose connection in the cluster; eiter the plug going into the cluster or the connection to the gauge itself. If the gauge moves correctly, but is not in the right position, you might be able to pull the needle off and glue it back on in the right position.

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Could you PM me the troubleshooting document also please..i'm having the same problems with mine...

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cool! Thanks!

Hope it will help me out.

Mike

10. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status