Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel guage probs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83PJW, Oct 15, 2003.

1. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

Aug 18, 2002
    i have a 85 one ton pick up with dual tanks. about a month ago my fuel guage quit working. well the tanks were still switching. just the guage was the problem. then i ran out of gas one day and i figured out that it was no longer switching tanks. well i ran the truck for another month and then it acted like it ran out of gas again. now my pump is no longer running (electric pump). i changed the switch in my dash so it is fine. but i cant figure it out. i believe my pump is good but what im wondering is there another switch and if so where? i very confused any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    You've got a "switch" mounted under the truck (in the bed area) that actually switches which tank the fuel comes from.

This switch is likely also where the single fuel gauge sender wire is "split" into the two tanks, so whichever tank is switched to, is the one the gauge reads.