Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel inection how-to ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinjimmy, Dec 10, 2006.

1. blazinjimmy

blazinjimmy Registered Member

I know this has been discussed before, but I need some advice. I have an '89 jimmy parts truck...has fuel inj. on it. Would like to put it on my '74/'89 jimmy. Now , do I need the complete wiring harness, computer, and such. What exactly would I need to use from the parts truck? [I'm in the dark here, :confused: so please be as helpful as possible]............thanks.

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

You need to swap EVERYTHING related to the drivetrain (wiring wise), and you also need to get the electric fuel pump out of the tank. I swapped over the serpentine setup too, but thats optional. Anything that wont swap directly needs to be spliced in to what ever you have. You will also need to swap out guage clusters too, as the 89 has a speed sensor in the guage cluster.

3. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

doesnt he also have to swap the intake manifold??

4. neverendingproject

Yes, along with a few other things ive forgotten im sure. Also, you will want to build your motor to 89 stock specs or have a custom chip burned cause the stock tbi system WILL give you fits.

5. blazinjimmy

Hmmm, sounds like a big project. The donor truck has air con., power everything....and a 700r4 tranny....a 241 trans case. How else would this affect the swap?.......thanks for all the info. guys.

6. neverendingproject

Well if it has the 241 its a jewel indeed. Swap it too as it is a fairly desirable case that was only made for two years. (It has a mechanical speedo) I would probably swap the trans too as they had the bugs worked out by 89. It is a big project but worth it in the end.

7. blazinjimmy

Sounds like a lot of work! .....wonder if it would be less/more work puttin my body/front clip...and running gear under the '89? Have heard bad raps on the 700r4 trans., U say the '89's were better?

8. neverendingproject

It would be easier to just get the 89 driving, but some people just like modifying thier old vehicle. As far as the 700, 87 is the year that bugs were worked out I believe.

Im not 100 percent, but you might be able to put your fornt clip on the 89, but the title would have to be 89 also. An 89 with 78 front clip would be sweet though.