Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injected 427

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazer_87, Feb 6, 2003.

1. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

I have an 87 K5 TBI. I am installing a 427 Tall Deck Engine. Does anyone know how or have any suggestions on how to keep the TBI? I need to either reprogram my computer to run richer or ............. open for suggestions. Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Might have to have a chip burned for your application. I think its very possible.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The first couple of years of TBI 454 used a Q-jet intake with a water-heated adapter to mount the TBI unit. Either find this adapter, or I believe you can get manifold spacers to run a stock (short-deck) TBI intake.

There may even be a factory tall-deck TBI intake used on the bigger trucks - dunno for sure.

The TBI and harness on the 350 should be enough to at least make it run. Worry about the larger TBI and custom ECM later.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

How are you building the Tall Deck? Are you keeping the stock TD pistons w/ the extra ring or swapping to a standard style 454 piston w/ different rods?
    I have heard nothing but bad things about the intake spacers for the tall deck motors... from what I understand you are way better off to get the aftermarked intake for the TD application.

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I know GM trucks had FI on TOP KICKS{think thats right}.Hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. blazer_87

I am going to take the block and get the .400 machined off and make it regular deck height.

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Wow, thats alot of material to take off! What is the advantage to doing this instead of just starting w/ a standard 454 block, or is there one?

8. blazer_87

The advantage is that I only paid $200 for a running 427. I dont think I could fine anything cheaper. After reading some more, I think I will keep the tall deck and stroke it. The main thing is getting the TBI working.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Probably a steel crank in that sucker too /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

( /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif )

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I think when you finish milling .400 off the top of the block you'll be a little surprised. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If my sources at a local machine shop are correct, you'll have exposed the water jackets. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif OR very nearly so.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've gotta agree with Sparky. If you mill .400" from the top of the deck, you'll have a junk block. If the 427 runs, then leave it alone, or fork out the $$$ for more expensive and limited parts for tall deck BB's.

12. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Don't even think about milling down that engine's deck. I'll buy it from ya at that rate.

the 427 td is a great engine when it's stroked. Lots of torque.