Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection 86K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pbesing, Jun 21, 2005.

1. pbesing

pbesing Newbie

I saw a K5 with fuel injection mod (85 or 86 K5 if I remember)

Any idea what this might have been? What kind of mileage benefits are there?

Thanks.

2. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Well it is either a motor that has had fuel injection added to it or a somebody just swapped in a complete fuel injected motor to replace the original..

The MPG benefits will vary from motor to motor and from truck to truck based on weight, gears. H.P. and driving style just to name a few.. But in most cases a fuel injected motor will get better gas milage..

3. pbesing

pbesing Newbie

Just failed emissions with my 350 with carb. I took it to a shop for a rebuild, and was told $770 to rebuild it!

Thinking about the TBI or Fuel Injection. Problem is, I don't know anything about them. I'm sure it has been hashed out here before. Is there a good system to go with? I'd like it to be as bolt on as I can get, and not break the bank. I saw the Affordable systems. Any comments? TBI or Fuel Injection? If there is a document that has a good combination of comments, which system/models to get?

Sorry if this is a repeated topic on this board, but I'm still green on injection systems, let alone my newly purchased K5.

Thanks.

Paul
    86K5

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, I wrote up my experiences here:

http://www.taildragger.info/K5/TBI/

It runs well, but needs more tuning. It doesn't run great until it warms up and goes closed loop.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing wrong with converting to injection, but as Mastiff's excellent writeup shows, you will spend plenty of time doing all the work to convert.

If bolting on injection is what you want, solely to solve an existing component problem, you are bound to end up disappointing yourself. If the carb being problematic (or whatever the problem is) is an excuse to go fuel injection, then great.

My opinion anyways. Injection is great, but you have to be willing to do the work for it.

6. shelbyfordgt

shelbyfordgt Banned

call up couple parts stores or look on ebay for a brand new or rebuilt carb for your vehicle.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

770 to rebuild a carb. WoW must be using gold plated parts. :grin:

For a little more you could get a complete kit TBI setup with everything you need and good tech support.
    Check it out.
    TBI Kit (clicky)

I would definatly go with a TBI system before I would pay 770 to rebuild one of those POS Electronic controlled carbs.

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought an 87(TBI) running parts truck. I stripped it down and sold parts until I got all my money back. Then took the wiring/ecm/tbi/sending unit/sensors off and adapted it to my 350. I had about 12hrs in the install. I wouldn't trade anything for it. Better milage, runs at all angles and better throttle response.