Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection and new engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dudeman, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Dudeman

Dudeman Newbie

I've got a '75 Jimmy with a 400 in it. The engine is REALLY tired, with about 230K on it. I bought a fuel injection setup off a friend, who had it on a '57 Chevy w/ a 400 (he replaced it w/ a big block). Do you guys think I should rebuild my existing motor, or get a crate 350 or 383? I'm worried about the setup on the FI computer. It was setup for the 400, so will different CI screw it up?

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't rebuild the 400, that block has siamesed cylinders (no water jacket between the bores) and suffers from cooling problems.
    Build a 350, 383 or 391, the 391 build uses more stroke than a 400 is a torque monster but it has a very low rod ratio and redlines around 4500.
    A 383 with 5.7" rods will make roughly 35 more ft lbs of torque than a similar 350 but will redline at 5500.
    Decisions.....decisions :thinking:

Oh....BTW, the F.I. should work fine with either the 383 or 391 but may be a tad rich on the 350 and require calibration.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  3. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

Do a fresh 350 or 383. It's a pretty simple fix to just have the computer chip reprogrammed to match your engine. There are lots of places that will do it. Even it you were building a 400, you'd probably want to do it anyway so it matches your cam, gear ratio, tire size, etc.

Mike

4. Dudeman

Dudeman Newbie

Funny you say that. I used to have a '73 with a 350 and I had serious heat problems with it. I bought this Jimmy in Sacramento, CA, drove it in the summer as a DD and never had a problem.

Guess I was freakin' lucky.