Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel injection conversion? big block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cris, Jun 15, 2003.

1. cris

cris Registered Member

I have an 88 suburban with a 350tbi I recently bought a 1 ton 86 I plan on swaping almost everything on to my truck 1ton axles and the 454 but my truck is tbi and I hate carbs or just don't want one at all I have a adapter plate for the top of the intake manifold so I can put mt tbi on the 454 (it's the 650cfm holley TBI)
    I have a couple questions to whom ever can answer them thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 is that enough to feed a 454
    2 will I have to get a new ECM or is there a way I can get it reprogramed or a chip????
    3 would a 350 and a 454 have the same senors (o2,knock,egr,etc)
    4 the 454 has an Accel HEI ignition and the 350 has stock ignition is the accel hei compatatble with the stock ECU
    5 does anyone have a computer/ECU for controlling a 454 tbi and 4l80E? For Sale ???

I know this is a huge prject but I don't expect to start until i've done my HomeWork and have enough $$ cash $$ another question is has anyone done a MPFI conversion instead of TBI I know edlbrok has a kit but can I use parts fron other cars like the rails injectors etc.??? thanks for the help and knowlegde /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to do the same thing with a 396. I'm also very interested on this swap. From waht I understand, to put the TBI unit on the manifold, we will need an adapter plate. I also beleive we will need different injectors. also, you we will need a differnt distributer. You can get one for an 88 chevy 1 ton with a 454.

- TBI unit will work with adapter
    - Need new injectors
    - Need new distributer

NO SURE....
    - Will other sensors work?
    - Will computer work? Will it need reprogramming?

ANyone else have any more info? ALso if anyones knows that I am wrong on things I've been told, feel free to correct me. Thanks

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

1 is that enough to feed a 454

[/ QUOTE ]

650 cfm will feed mild big blocks, but you will need bigger injectors and make sure the throttle bores are 2 ".

[ QUOTE ]
    2 will I have to get a new ECM or is there a way I can get it reprogramed or a chip????

[/ QUOTE ]

You can just buy the stock 454 chip or get yours reprogrammed.

[ QUOTE ]
    3 would a 350 and a 454 have the same senors (o2,knock,egr,etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

They are essentially the same. There are a couple of differences but nothing you couldn't figure out. For instance the oil pressure sensor is forward on the drivers side of the engine on a BBC TBI system - but for your application with a pre-TBI BBC you could adapt a sensor in where ever you needed it.

[ QUOTE ]
    4 the 454 has an Accel HEI ignition and the 350 has stock ignition is the accel hei compatatble with the stock ECU

[/ QUOTE ]

The engine may run with a vacuum advanced distributer but you would not have the advantages of having the ECM controlling the advance on the spark timing. You can actually modify a HEI system to run an electronic advance compatable with a TBI ECM - but I never have done it ( there is a guy who will modify yours or sell you the parts) - it is more expensive than buying a TBI distributer - your 350 TBI distributer will work on your BBC.

[ QUOTE ]
    5 does anyone have a computer/ECU for controlling a 454 tbi and 4l80E? For Sale ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Have - yes, For sale - no. Good luck - hang out on ebay continously, search the net, save up about 400 dollars - you should find one in a couple of years. Seriously - you can find them but you have to be very consistent about looking, I have seen 2 or 3 factory systems and / or aftermarket systems turn up within weeks of each other - then - nothing for many months.....go figure.

YMMV,
    Mark

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm about to put FI on a 350. The FI I bought is off a 454. I had heard that the bolt pattern is the same on the 454 as it is on a motor that had a Quad on it. It is. At worst I'll be able to make a simple 1/4"plate and stack a stock 350 gasket, plate then the 454 FI gasket. If I'm lucky the stock 454 gasket will seal properly to the 350 intake (your 454 will have the same possible issue). The over all shape of the bores on the 454 FI line up perfectly It's just a matter of the location of where the 454 FI seals on the back. Now I'm actually going to modify a 88 350 FI computer for this engine. I plan to keep the stock 454 ECM as a spare for my 88 FI 454 Burb.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Hey there, I have a mild 396 and lookin to do the same thing, if it is no trouble update me when you choose your set up or what you end up doing. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I just got done swapping in a 1992 454 TBI in place of my TBI 350...

-Your Holley unit should flow enough for a stock to mild 454, but you WILL need much larger injectors...I believe the 454 injectors are rated at like 85lb/hr and the 350 ones are like 35lb/hr.

-You will need a 454 ECM...you can get these for like $30 off ebay

-The majority of the sensors are the same. The type of sensor depends more on the vintage of the TB unit than size...I am using my COMPLETE 350 TBI harness that I just swapped a few connectors here and there and had to lengthen the harness in a fe places...The majority on the difference will be at the throttle body sensors and controllers (TPS, IAC, EGR sol.)

- I would just go to a yard a get a stock GM TBI dist. I don't think your accell unit will work with the TBI

As far as the MPFI, I would skip the "conversion " that edelbrock offers and save up for a true, hi-po MPFI kit like their ProFlo...I was looking into the conversion and your TB is still a limitation (you reuse you stock TB minus the injector pod). I plan on the ProFlo system that will flow 1000cfm and comes with everything.

Chris

7. cris

cris Registered Member

hey guys I went to the dealer ship today a new ecu is only $$275 i thought it would be more. The wireing harness was 1500!! though but hopfully the conectors will fit. Another thing I found out is 96 and after they did have a multi port 454 vortec but but for now I thinking the 650tbi with the bigger bore is enough air just change injectors.
    The computer i looked up was with a 454/4l80E controller I'm just wondering if its a separate plug for the tranny or all the same plug in to the computer. basically if I can just buy a wiring harness to the tranny by it self through Painless Wireing. If anyone has this engine and tranny can you do me a favor and look? thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

PS I just found a new shop here in SA thats gonna line X the entire interior of my truck for only 500 bucks it's called Truck Master San Antonio TX me and the owner worked at the same shops just different times good work good prices its a new business so i though id tell yall to check it out if you from around here