Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bunn60, Nov 3, 2002.

1. bunn60

bunn60 Newbie

OK - I have been searching for info on this for a couple of days. A few posts ago I was talking about a 96 Vortec with about 20K miles. It has all the fuel injection stuff - but no computer. I was considering installing it with the SFI, but my research shows that it needs input from a bunch of sensors (which I do not have on my truck) to a computer (which I do not have). Is there a good source of information - instructions - recommendations - or any other resource that I would use for this possibility? Or are there any companies that specialize in this (with good reps)? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I recomend avoiding incomplete setups.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Try Arizona speed &amp; marine, or Oh I know theres another place.......... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The sensors should be installed on the engine, unless someone removed them. When you say "all of the fuel injection stuff", you mean the sensors and other stuff.

The other stuff consists of the wire harness, which Painless Wiring should carry if you don't have it, and the computer.

You must use a specific computer for the engine you're installing. At least you need to know the part number for the computer that engine originally ran. I think some Painless Wiring kits tell you which computer numbers they will work with.

Hope this helps.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The only sensor your going to have issue with is the sensor that provides signal to the ECU. It mounts where the older truck runs the speedometer cable. Steve had to have his 205 custom machined to accept that. Then the next problem is no speedometer because the new trucks run an electronic speedo off the same sensor.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status