Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel injection help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

Background info: I have an 82 K5 with a sm465, and was given a TBI engine out of a 91 1500, I have everything on the block and the wiring harness, but no computer. Any idea on what computer I need to get to make it work? I really need the numbers of one, but I was told there were 3 different computers that year and if I got the wrong one it wont work, so is there any way to tell what one I need.

2. Jeromy Gibson

ttt before I head home for the day

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont have any numbers but I would think a computer for a 91 K1500 equiped with a manual trans would work fine.
    Be sure you mount it in the cab they are not water proof.

Give http://www.turbocity.com a call or Email They sell TBI computers for just about any combo or set up. They would know what you need

4. Jeromy Gibson

From what I can tell the three different numbers I got are for the different tranny, standard, 4l60E, 4l80E. I gust need to know which is which, I looked at the link you gave me and they want over 300 for a computer, if I can find the number I can pick one up for 25. Thanks

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are going to use that engine with a standard trans (sm465) get the computer programed for a standard trans.
    The 4l60(700R4) and 4l80E are both auto trannys. Those puters wont work rite with a manual tranny. The ECM in auto tranny apps control things like shift points and torque convertor lock up. You dont need these when using a manual trans.
    The manual trans ECM also has a diferent idle program.
    Hope this helps.

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The GM 7747 ECM is what you need... Up until GM used electronically controlled trannies, the ECM's for auto and manual trannies were the same...Chances are the engine had a 4l60e behind it. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I believe the wiring harness for an engine that had a electronically controled tranny is different than the harness for an engine that had a manual or a hydro tranny...You best bet is to get the 7747 ECM (which you can get CHEAP on ebay ~$35) and get some pinout diagrams for the different ECMs and see if they are anywhere close...If you are lucky, the 7747 ECM will have the same pinout with some "empty" slots so you can just unhook the part of the harness you don't need...

Chris

7. Jeromy Gibson

thanks, got lucky there. the truck it came out of had a stick, I just did get the computer. I will check ebay. once again thanks.

8. Jeromy Gibson

Ok I will go get the computer Monday, if that doesn't fix everything, where is the best and cheapest place to get an after market harness? I learned yesterday the engine is out of a 91 and who knows where the harness we got came from. Thnks

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

If you need pinouts and other info about GM ECMs, here is a site i found during my TPI research GM ECM info . I hope this can help you find an ECM and help with the wiring. Good luck!