Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel injection on a crate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seschev3, Nov 24, 2005.

1. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any experience with fuel injection on a 350ho 330hp gm crate motor. Truck avenger has a cracked flange and I am tired of this carb that does not like a perfect tune. Fuelie in the future for me. Thanks.

2. gauder

gauder Banned

What's the specs on the cam. It could be a good candidate for a tpi swap.
    "TPI, the best truck motor GM never installed in a truck!"

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Thinking about changing the cam to get some better low end. My concern is more with a fuel injection system that can handle the 350 hp and 400 ft lbs. And a system that will work with vortec heads if a manifold change is necessary.

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm still trying to decide on what kind of FI to go with. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the holley commander tbi or the edelbrock pro-flo... the pro-flo seems to be the better system for my needs but at $2000... :eek1: I have found a lot of good info about both systems by searching, I still can't make up my mind. More input from everyone who has either of these F.I. setups! Thanks everyone.

5. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

fuel injection

There is a company called megasquirt that makes a stand alone fuel injection and ignition controller that will work with any engine. The system is under 500 and you use factory equipment with it to make it work.

6. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

The megasquirt is an option but you'll still need a bigger tbi unit and a better manifold.

I went with the holley 670 cfm tbi(bigger than a stock 454 tbi), projection 2 inch manifold(yes they sell vortech 2" manifolds) , bigger fuel pump, and a prominator for my 355. All that brand new costed me around 700 bucks and i can modify my fuel injection any way i want save different fuel maps and switch from one fuel map to the other with the flip of a switch... for example i can burn a smog fuel map(lean it out), a gas mileage map, etc., and switch from one to another with the turn of a switch.

This setup will support over 350 hp and tq max is probably up around 450 ft lbs. This is a good way to go if you want to be able to customize your FI but it takes alot of reading and you'll need a labtop.

Tpi is not my specialty but from what i hear the max power numbers are close to the tbi.