Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection or Quadrajet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Aug 28, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right. I am trying to decide on what to do with my fuel delivery. What are the pros and cons of the two. I am running a street carb now and sucks offroad, so want a little push in what to do. The engine is coming out this winter to be "modified" and want to do it then.

TIA /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    James

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Really depends on what your budget is. Is the truck gonna be full offroad? My Edelbrock performer 750 is on the way out for sure. Am heavily debating on going to propane. If not then I think it will be a FI setup like one Howell or Turbocity sells $1100-1200. Just doing research right now and probably won't buy until February or so

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

FI is awesome. The difference between my Qjet and the TPI I have now is HUGE. Much better throttle response, more lowend torque, easier starting, better MPG's, runs at any angle, doesn't loadup, etc are all Pro's of fuel injection. Con's would be initial price to install. That is about the only drawback I can see.

After installing TPI I would never go back to a carb.

Harley

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

When FI is running well, its awesome. However if you ever have problems with it troubleshooting it can be a real PITA. A lot of people do the junkyard swap type of deal, if I was gonna do it it would be a new setup of some sort.

I have a q-jet and it is good enough for me. It works pretty good off road, and its easy enough to keep my truck running with a minimum of maintenence.

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FI is the way to go unless we could have access to propane!!

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

If you have the funds go with FI.

7. climbingmadman2000

climbingmadman2000 Registered Member

I've read that Edelbrock's new QJet is the nut for offroad - cheaper than FI and easier to maintain and install. It's also 50-state smog legal if that's an issue for you.

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've read that Edelbrock's new QJet is the nut for offroad - cheaper than FI and easier to maintain and install. It's also 50-state smog legal if that's an issue for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuel injection would be smog legal IIRC since it is more efficient and lowers emissions. I have had both an Edelbrock (carter style) carb and a Q-jet and neither of them compare to my TBI system. The fact that most every parts store has some of the parts needed for a TBI system in stock makes me glad my fueld injection is a factory setup. If I ever toast a module or a sensor on the trail I can just go to Auto Zone or Napa etc. and get a replacement. If I burn the computer I can just go to the scrap yard and grab one for about $25-$50. Not to mention the stock system has a "limp home" mode built in. There so many advantages to the TBI system in my Blazer that I'll keep this system until there are no more parts avalable for it or we run out of oil reserves and have to convert to battery power. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You figure you spend 400 on a new carb, 100 on an intake atleast 50 on a fancy K&N, why not just save a little longer and do TPI. Off a 3rd gen camaro/firebird. Much less expensive the Edlebrock, easer to work on IMHO, and looks a lot cooler!

10. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I swapped out my quadrajet carb for TBI off of an 88gmc pickup. This was, without a doubt, the best modification I made to my truck. Not only is it great for rockcrawling and off camber driving but you get better cold start, better fuel economy and so on...