Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection Q...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 14, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering if you had a choice between a carb, like the Q-jet, or Fuel injection, what would you get? I am asking because I am building an engine eventually and want to get a list of parts to get. And what are the advantages/disadvantages of FI. State if you like it or dislike it. Thanks

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Fuel injection all the way. I really like the GM TBI system. Pretty simple to retrofit in to an older truck and also it is easy to work on. Now if you are planning a pretty hot engine then you will need aftermarket fuel injection or possibly a TPI will work. For anything older like muscle cars or street rods I prefer carbs but in a 4x4 or daily driver FI is nice.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Neither....get a diesel, mechanical injection is bliss...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I don't want a diesel though /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

It will be for lots of mud and some rockcrawling...

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

For a motor that isn't crazy I would say a GM TPI setup would work very well. For a crazy high HP motor than I would look into some of the aftermarket EFI systems that are available. The good ones run from $2K and up though. The simplest thing for a hi HP motor would be a holley or demon carb. Not good for slopes but fine for a mudding rig... I wouldn't touch TBI on a motor that is built, IMHO they just can't supply a high HP big block(thats what you said you wanted to build, I remember /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) the stock GM version of course.

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i wanna put that holley 2d projection on my truck, looks like would be the perfect setup for my truck.

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    i wanna put that holley 2d projection on my truck, looks like would be the perfect setup for my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I heard that kit is junk. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I like the simple TBI set up. It's stone reliable,consistent in severe angles unlike carbs. But you are unlikely to get a lot of HP with it. I don't know your target HP/Torque goals, but if it's much over 310 HP (I think /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) you'll want something like the Edelbrock multi port FI set up. FI is most valuable to me when my truck is unlevel. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif Bern. "All that is neccessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif 87 Burb 350TBI/NP205/D60/14BFF/powerlock-Detroit/4.56s/39.5 TSLs.

9. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I like mine. [​IMG]

MMMM...Vortec....Smoooottthh....torquey...readily available...I'll post my write up someday...I keep saying that but I really will someday.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    383, Vortec heads, MPFI /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

rjf, I don't know if you read my recent post (can't remember the name) but the plan for the blazer is going to be big HP mudder, that also can rock crawl. So it has to handle steep slopes, and steep terrain period. So would fuel injection be good for that? What company would you suggest? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    rjf, I don't know if you read my recent post (can't remember the name) but the plan for the blazer is going to be big HP mudder, that also can rock crawl. So it has to handle steep slopes, and steep terrain period. So would fuel injection be good for that? What company would you suggest? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    FI would definantly be the best for non level terrain. It runs at all angles unlike carbs. I wouldn't be afraid of a big Q-jet though, I have climbed some really steep hills before and had minimal flooding problems.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay the desicion remains untold... I will keep thinking about it, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

If you want big horsepower, then spend the money once, and get an aftermarket setup.Which ones are good? I don't know.The worst thing when trying to climb a long slippery rock with steep drops on either side,is to have your rig sputter and stall.Try backing down with no p/s or p/b.Or keep your foot on the brakes till someone can hook a winch on you.FI is the only way to go for rockcrawling.I am currently adapting a TBI to mine.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are building a high HP engine. Look into a Holley Commander MPFI system. They are adjustable to your engine have a wide choice of injectors to choose from. You need a laptop to program it. I would pick the Holley Commander over the Stealth Ram systen because the Commander builds torque lower in the power band. The Stealth system is more top end power.
    The Edelbrock Pro Flow systems are very good also but they are limited on how much HP they will build.(400 HP?) They come with the chips/modules you need and you dont need a Laptop to program them. But they do have a programable one in the works that should be out soon. That should make the system build more HP.