Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel injection question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoshA, Jan 21, 2002.

1. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to put a new engine in my '72 but I've got less money than I need for what I want (imagine that). I wanted to put in a ram jet 350, but it's probably going to be out of my range.

I really want fuel injection, but I can't afford the crate engine option and I don't know much about it so I was hoping to get a good book on the subject so I can swap in a system. I would love advice and a book recommend from anyone who has done this.

thanks,
    Josh

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've done a TPI swap onto my 406 SBC in my '79. Going either TPI or TBI is the least expensive way, using factory parts, than going aftermarket $$. Just my opinion.

The swap can be done inexpensively if you can do all the labor yourself and do the homework up front before you buy anything. Get the "TPI Swappers Guide" by John Baechtel............."Chevrolet Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson...........and/or "How to Tune and Modify Chevrolet TPI Engines" by Jason Scott from www.jagsthatrun.com. Other sites to check..........

www.fuelinjection.com
    '79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll just add my 2 cents here and say,
    I am set on the edelbrock Pro-flo fuel injection system.
    Check it out!
    It's a little pricy, just under 2 grand,
    but when compared to a ramjet motor, or other fuel injection systems, even a Street &amp; performance complete TPI system, it really doesn't seem like that much money. heh.
    Once I find two thousand dollars, I know where it'll be spent.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

BlazzinOR has some good resources listed there. The first book I bought was JTR's book and I regretted that because it never told me anything I didn't already know or didn't already have figured out. The Baechtel book is excellent. I grabbed a TPI ECM and harness out of an '86 Camaro (actually, two hanresses, one's a bit munged up and a good one - I'm going to use them both so I can lengthen the hanress and place the ECM in my Blazer where it's going to be nice and safe) and have hard parts for an '89 Trans Am, along with the Factory Service Manuals for both. The FSMs are *absolutely* invaluable for figuring out what wires go to where and what you need and don't need, and also for troubleshooting.

5. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

The factory TBI is the cheapest &amp; most cost/power gain there is. You can get a later model junkyard engine w/ the TBI cheap and istall it yourself. Not as flashy as the TPI but better torque for the buck. Look at the GMPP 383 if you want a torque monster, then add the TBI. Best of both worlds. I have a 93 TBI motor &amp; 700R4 auto in my 71 Jimmy and it does real good. Again nothing fancy, just extremely reliable and goes where I want it to... with stock &amp; inexpensive parts.