Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel injection questions again...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 17, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I have been looking at FI lately and notice that alot of them or most of them are computer operated... is there a fuel injection set-up for custom built engines with-out a computer. The reason being I have bad luck with electronics in the truck. Another thing that worries me is, in deep mud, or water crossings couldn't the computer get wet? Or am I missing something. I don't no where your suposed to mount them or anything so If anyone can help me out it would be fantastic /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

in the tbi trucks the comp is behind the glovebox, soak that and u got bigger probs than a dead motor lol. Uhm, you could put in a diesel, i think they are mechanical fuel injection.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Fuel injection without the computer is called a carburator. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

No but really the most important and great thing about EFI is the sensors and the computer, and the adjustments that can be made as a result. This is what makes EFI so great--that it can constantly change parameters due to engine load, temperature, etc.

The comptuer is inside and at dash level. If it gets wet, you're already screwed anyway so it doesn't much matter.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I feel like a idiot now. Well at least now I know that the computer will be safe. For whom who has them... how are they for user friendly? Are they easy to adjust? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'll have to say this, do a search for terms like ALDL and WinALDL, you'll pop up some examples how user friendly they are.

If you're cheap, a paperclip can give you the trouble codes. You can dive in deeper with a laptop and a cable and look at what the computer is doing, and go even deeper by 'reprogramming' it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

OOhh thats what those posts were for /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'll have to do a search now or in the morning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Fuel injection without the computer is called a carburator. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

No but really the most important and great thing about EFI is the sensors and the computer, and the adjustments that can be made as a result. This is what makes EFI so great--that it can constantly change parameters due to engine load, temperature, etc.

The comptuer is inside and at dash level. If it gets wet, you're already screwed anyway so it doesn't much matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO, there is something you DON'T know, /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif what about those motors back in the 60's that were mechanical fuel injection??? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

1960's GM rochester fuel injection was mechanical. Used a fuel pump driven of motor. Very pricey to 'vette guys. Good luck finding one cheap, plus hard to tune.

There were many types of mechanical Bosch fuel injection on european cars. Would not transfer easily if at all to a SBC.

If you can't go EFI, get a q-jet. Patience and help from a few ck5 members, and the thing will run a long time..............at extreme angles /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for all the replies guys... I feel more comfortable about eventually getting it now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif