Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NewMexK5, May 6, 2005.

1. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine has a complete TPI setup that came off a late 80's Camaro with a 305. I can get this for fairly cheap from him and may even just trade some stuff if I decide to get it.

My concern is: Will this work on a mild built 350? Or what would I have to do to get this running on my current engine, a custom chip, fuel injectors, etc?

Any help will be appreciated. :grin:

Thanks,

Tommy

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can get the information here, but another god site to look into concerning TPI would be www.thirdgen.org That is where I found alot of info when I was looking to going to TPI.

One more reason a Fuel Injection sub-forum would be helpful. :D

3. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

Gonna go see if there is any info for this right now. :D

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

305 has the wrong knock sensor, injectors, and ESC module for a 350. You can get away with a 305 PROM on a 350, but you'll want a manual trans PROM for manual trans, and auto for auto. Don't forget about VATS, need to either get a PROM before VATS, or one with VATS disabled. Getting rid of the cold start injector is nice as well, but that gets into the VATS/no VATS issue too.

Lots of posts here about parts necessary for the swap, MAF TPI will work pretty good for a mildly modified engine, but it all adds up and will likely have some "quirks" if you have enough changes.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You need to figure out of the system is a MAF or MAP system. Late 80's means nothing in figuring that out.

305 injectors won't support enough fuel for a 350. You need 22lb/hr injectors. 305's had 19lb/hr injectors.

Once you have figured out what your system then do a search. There is alot of TPI stuff on here from myself, Dyeager, RyanB, and others. RyanB even did a writeup on it.

If you can figure out your setup more post it here and I will help you out as much as I can. Others will too I am sure. There is ALOT of TPI info on here.

Harley

6. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try and get out to my friends house where the setup is and am going to look everything over.

Checked out RyanB's article and it helps quite a bit. I will be asking more questions, as I am pretty new to tpi setups.

Thanks

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, i think that write up i did in the advanced previews forum covers a lot of it. I think the list of parts and all those part numbers i collected will be very helpful for anyone converting to tpi. :thumb:
    Post up any more questions you have as you're swapping over and there are quite a few tpi guys on this site that can help you out with a lot of good info. :cool1:
    I think speed density is the way to go for a wheeler... so with that said it doesn't matter what tpi setup you score. I'd just try to find the correct manifold to match either your early '86 style or the center bolt 87 up heads.
    I got a MAF setup but converted to speed density by scoring a MAP sensor and 730 ecm off ebay for $50.
    Then you will need to have a custom eprom burned (~$190) to eliminate the VATS and for cold start enrichment if you're eliminating the cold start 9th injector on the earlier tpi styles.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey how did ya'll deal with the fuel lines? I know ryan used a vette rail setup but for the rest of ya'll how did you deal with the lines being on the pass side?

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey actually i think the camaro/ firebird fuel rails come out on the drivers side like mine? My manifold and runners were corvette but the fuel rails i think were from a camaro.
    I bent some new 3/8 hardline going from my passanger side framerail, following the front crossmember, then down the drivers side framerail, bending up to meet the fuel rails. I have a total of about 6" of high pressure fuel hose connecting my hardline together on both ends.
    For the fuel rails that point towards the passanger side, it seems like that would be easier and less hardline to run.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My stuff is somewhat ugly, (hand bent, "unsightly" clamps) but I used the "stock" hardlines to get around the power steering pump (so I could clamp them down secure) then used a section of the stock braided line to get to the frame rail.