Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection swap??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KingDuramax, Feb 2, 2007.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

Question for the experienced TBI swap members. Curious how hard of a swap it would be to put a Throttle body fuel injection system from a 89 blazer onto a 86 Blazer? Will the intake fit from the 89 to the 86? What all will I need from the 89 to make the swap complete?

TIA

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

if your 86 has the center bolt valve covers, the intake will bolt right on, you will need all sensors, including the oxygen and the knock, alot of people say to just get the tbi adapter to put on your carb manifold, if your engine isn't stock, it ain't gonna run right, you will need a chip, mine just got back from the fuel injection shop, I put a tbi on my truck with a 330 horse motor in it, and they put bigger injectors and made a custom prom for it, it runs sweet, but I used the painless wire harness.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you've got access to the donor rig, and can have access all the way through the swap, you'll make it easier on yourself.

Wiring harness, fuel lines and fuel tank are the three biggies in my book, but you need everything else (sensors and so on) that is tied into the system. If you have to buy stuff separate, cost goes through the roof quickly. What was a good deal initially will end up more expensive in the end.

4. KingDuramax

Thats the info I am looking for. I dont want to put a ton of money out for not much difference in fuel economy and ease of operation. Not dealing with a choke etc.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

The first time you get TBI off camber it will be worth every dime of the investment.

6. dyeager535

Here's one "biggie". Can you take the motor out of the donor rig and drop it in?

If swapping 305 to 350 or just heads, you will probably have some driveability issues. Easier to take the whole motor.

7. KingDuramax

No motor in the donor truck just the harness. The motor in the 86 is rebuilt with 20k miles on it. So kind of wanted to keep that.

8. dyeager535

If it's a stock rebuild, might be able to run it as is, but what was in the donor rig? I'm not up on the later truck engines, did they offer TBI 305's, or are they all 350's?

If 350 to 350, your problems are smaller even if your engine is somewhat modified.

9. KingDuramax

Both trucks are 350 trucks.

10. dyeager535

*Should* be ok with fuel pressure, injectors, etc.

Just some potential tuning to deal with, for optimum operation. Of course assuming you can just bolt the intake to your heads.