Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 98sub454, Apr 3, 2003.

1. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

I know there are a few guys that have swapped a TBI motor out of a newer chevy into a older truck that was originally carbed. I was wondering how hard this was to do? I am about to put a TBI'd 454 out of a '90 suburban into my 76 and i was wondering if i needed to buy anything in order to make this work. I have the entire truck so i have all the complete harnesses and everything. Do all i need to do is pull the harness and put it in the new truck?? thanks for any and all info. i tried searching but i couldnt really find anything. maybe i just wasnt using the right keywords, and info would help a lot. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

76 burb?

yes basically is just put the new motor and wiring harness. if you have the entire truck, you shouldn't need anything. But if I were you I would replace the in-tank fuel pump with a new one when you put it.

3. 98sub454

its going from the 90 suburban parts car that i just got, to my 76 K5

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You will need a tank for your k5, unless the burb has the small 32 gallon tank. the FI tanks have a baffle in them, and the older carb ones didnt.

Dan

5. 98sub454

Do the TBI trucks have a fuel return line as well??

also can i use the fuel tank out of the sub even if it is the bigger one or will it not clear??

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

PM azblazor...he put a TBI 454 and 4L80E in his blazer...

BTW...graduated from LaHabra HighSchool in 85...grew up there...

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. 98sub454

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks

cool, i graduated from Sonora 2 years ago /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 98sub454

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks

cool, i graduated from Sonora 2 years ago /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

yes you will need a fuel return,

i think you can use the larger fuel tank but will be unable to use the K5 skid plates, anyone actually done that? with all the road trips i've been taking I could use a larger tank myself..........

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Sonora....thhpt! :0) They were our old rivals...many moons ago...back in the day before Idaho ran all the way thru standard oil's property. I lived at 1430 lorella ave...just around the corner from the triple aaa office...

I am converting my 1976 K5 Chalet to TBI right now...the burb 40 gallon tank will not fit...order an aftermarket 31 gallon TBI baffled tank....a donor 87 to 91 K5 will provide fuel lines that are a bolt in...the only problem is the fuel fill tube...you will need a K5 from 87-91 unit to modify as the hose sizes are different....check the placement of the ecm wiring where it enters the cab via the firewall...you will need to use a hole saw to cut a hole for the wiring....you can still order the metal ecm mount brackets from gm....the holder itself is also still ava. I used a Howell harness the first time on my 79...this time i am modifying a donor 89 sub harness to save some coin...there is alot to it actually and its hard to cover all the steps...i'll try and answer your questions as they come up...

11. 98sub454

Haha yeah the rivalry is still alive and well. Almost all of that oil property is developed now. that hill now has a golf coarse and a ton of houses. I just moved out of there a few months ago and now i live off of Euclid up on the hill . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks for the info, if the fuel tank is not the small one, ill have to go find a tank out of a K5 or something. I got a lot of work ahead of me, im really stripping out that sub and puttin the whole front clip, engine, diff, doors, tailgate, and some of the interior into into the K5. the more info i get before i dive into it, the better, thanks guys

12. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of TPI hell.A novice.But will be well worth it when completed. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

All developed you say? My dad used to take us to the top of that hill on july 4th to watch Knotts Berry Farm and Disney's firework display. There was also a shooting range up there. And me and my buddies in grade school used to go to the other side of beach blvd and have BB Gun wars...lol. I also saw star wars in 77 ...ok i'm an old fart now...at the LaMirada mall...which i understand is gone now?

Anyways...glued down the intake today...installed fuel pump block off plate...new 195 degree t-stat...coolant...leak tested cooling system...used a 2 1/8 hole saw to pop new hole in firewall for the ecm harness...dropped in dist...at 12 degree's (400 CID)....wires..cap..coil...tbi...fuel lines..sensor bracket (esc module-map sensor..egr bleed valve..). Need to finish the harness this week...i'm a dyi kinda guy...plus i work on electronics for a living on semi's. Plus i need to figure where to put the ecm so i don't loose the glove box this time...plus a much needed final parts list...like..egr valve..egr solenoid...charcoal can...fuse holders...brake booster tube...air cleaner spacer...etc.

But all in all...allmost there.