Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just wondering, witch Fuel Injection system you prefer. I'm no expert, but I kinda like the TPI over TBI.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Sure TPI if money were not an option

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TBI's got it over TPI for cost AND for BBC. At least they made an injection setup for the BBC that was used in the trucks.

Just depends what you want to do. Believe the stock BBC Throttle Body outflows the stock TPI throttle body at something like 500CFM. (not to mention the runners that limit flow as well)

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

SO do you have an opinion on a good BBC TBI setup? I'm looking into either a Howell or Holley Commander 950 TBI Kits. Need something that will be happy with 400-425hp

5. dyeager535

I really haven't followed TBI too much, especially BBC TBI stuff. This board is about the only place you'll find it, you don't see BBC/TBI in the same sentence very often on car boards. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really have to find out how much the stock BBC system will handle. I bet there are a couple people at least, running it , putting down some decent power.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you're going to spend money on a new system... why not plunk the coin down for MPFI?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ive HEARD emphasize heard, that the stock bbc tbi setup will only handle about 350-400 hp. I have the edelbrock tbi-mpfi conversion on my 496, and it needs more breath at upper rpm, like at 65 if you step on it, takes awhile to wind on up. Im lookin at the edelbrock performer rpm mpfi setup after i become smog exempt in february.

8. dyeager535

Well, depends on what the limitations are of the TBI setups for HP. If they say it's flow, I'm curious how thats possible...I thought the SBC setups were capable of right around 330HP? If that max. figure is based on flow restriction, the larger 454 setup should easily exceed that. At last in my thinking! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would suspect though, if your engine is a sluggish performer at the top end, flow is being restricted somewhere, as long as fuel is being delivered in the quantity necessary, and timing is right.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The biggest injector made (to my knowledge) for a Chevy TBI is a 90pph one. Two of them are worth about 330hp. That's why Holley only offers the two-injector for engines up to 275hp. After that they sell you ones with four injectors.

I made a bunch of posts about this a while back when I was still working actively on my custom EFI system.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

TPI off a 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird.

11. dyeager535

Yeah, if it's injectors that are the problem, end of the line if there isn't a real workaround.

4 injector TBI? Halfway to port injection! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think aftermarket EFI blows them all away, but I don't have that kind of coin burning a hole in my pocket.

For my stock 350, nothing beats TBI, which for me is going to be a cheaper swap than it would cost me to buy a new Q-jet.