Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennevis, May 18, 2001.

1. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

Have an 82' 350 with Q-jet carb. Opinions and cost of going to fuel injection instead of carb?
    Eric

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just posted about this a week or so back (might wanna do a check)...I determinded for now it cost too much for me. A kit would have run $1000-$1500 depending on what I went with brand wise....a used one a lot cheaper...like maybe $400-$500 for everything.....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

What kinda FI? TPI? TBI? Edelrbock port injection? Holley 3Di?

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

What are the differences, pros and cons? Looking for something that would give better mpg's.
    Eric

5. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I'm getting rid of my TBI next week, the motor too. I bought a 96 vortec crate and am installing the edelbrock fuel injection (see my post on finally decided on motor) will let all know about mileage and performance.

I plan on giving a full description of parts used, sources and final cost if you are all intrested.

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Last I checked, the cheap Holley kits (2 barrel throttle body) were still around $600.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

well for not much more $$$ you could get the Edelbrock port injection kit and either add the TBI Computer and wiring or get edel's own computer kit for it... that will give you the best mpg and power. I wouldn't recomend the upgrade to TBI for mpg...Not worth it IMO

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My opinion would be to get the entire setup off of a wrecked F-body (camaro/firebird) of the late 80's. 86-88 seem to be real desirable. You can probbly get a wrecked, nonetheless complete, f-body for that I bet. Buying stuff part by part is definitely NOT the way to put one of these systems together.

Also going to spend some time adapting everything over to your fuse panel, it just takes some time. Personally, I know GM spent more money developing and producing their TPI than any aftermarket company can dream of spending on the same setup.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen