Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nau81blazer, Mar 29, 2006.

1. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey all,

I'm looking for a way to make my blazer a little more dependable. I was thinking alot about a fuel injection engine (I've had terrible luck with carbs). Has anyone ever swapped in one of the newer vortec engines into a K5. If I was able to get ahold of one from a wrecked suburban how hard is the swap? I know I would have to get the computer and fuel tank and electric fuel pump. The other option is getting a new RamJet 350 from the dealership. They come with a computer and everything to install except gas tank and fuel pump. These things cost like $5k though, and as college student who is about to get married, that's not exactly in the budget. Just wondering if anyone has done this/how much it costs. Also if you had a shop do it how much did it cost? I've always been a do it yourself type person, but I just want this thing to be dependable and i'm not sure I could do it completely right. Anyway, suggestions, advice, criticism, anything. Thanks guys,

-Adam

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're going to do it, get EVERYTHING from a donar truck. It's an easy enough job but time consuming. I used a Painless kit as mentioned above. But if you get absolutly everything else from the donar truck it'll be relativly easy. I put a '91 TBI into a '78. Vortec motors are basically the same. The late model 'fly-by-wire' motors take a bit more work though.

4. nau81blazer

What do you mean by "late model fly-by-wires"? My parents use to have a 2003 suburban and the 5.3 in there was pretty impressive to me. Not insane power, but enough to get a sub. moving pretty quick. That's what I was thinking of putting in the blazer....................or maybe a 6.0.................hmm. Anybody else have info or suggestions? Thanks,

--Adam

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

The newer generation of vortec's, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 use a drive by wire setup. What this means is that there is no throttle cable. When you step on the gas pedal, a sensor reads where your foot is, and the throttle body has an electric motor that opens the throttle accordingly. These engines are more difficult to swap, as compared to a vortec 5.7 or 7.4, because of the newly designed blocks. A vortec 350 is a pretty much bolt in for a carbed 350. The block design is essentially the same.

6. nau81blazer

Ah, cool. Well thank you for all the information you've given me so far. I really appreciate it!

--Adam

7. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

Im doing the finishing touches on my vortec 350 swap out of a 99 3/4 ton. The cool thing with the 3/4 ton vortec 350 is that it has the hydroboost pump on it, so its really easy to add hydroboost brakes. The gen 3 engines need to have motor mounts in a different place and you need a spacer kit from advance adapters for the flywheel. The vortec 350 is a bolt in swap (still a little difficult with the wiring, ect though). As far as the fuel pump, all you have to do is go to autozone and get a E2000 pump (normal stock) and put it on the framerail under the passenger door. Thats a great setup. If you have a pre 87 model, you wont be able to run the fuel below 1/4 tank, or it will start sucking air. You can run it like this, or get a 87-91 tank with the baffles in it. If your used to that carb, you wont believe the difference in the vortec 350 swap!

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might also cocncider TBI. It is a great system for a truck. Builds good torque and is very dependable.
    Check out:http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/throttle-body-fuel-injection.htm
    They are a vendor here on CK5. So on top of their reasonable prices I am pretty sure you can get a member discount. They also have MPFI and TPI kits too. Plus great tech support.:waytogo:

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Too bad you weren't closer. i have 2 88's I'm cutting up. both are TBI injected. It's not hard to swap over, just time consuming. I think, depending on options, there only 3-4 wires that have to be spliced in.

10. nau81blazer

Ya, that's a bummer. It seems like everything we need is always on the opposite end of the country! Thanks for the info so far guys!

--Adam

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but this is NOT drive-by-wire. It is throttle-by-wire. Drive-by-wire means that your steering and brakes are also controlled electrically and nobody has either of those two in production yet. In fact, full drive-by-wire is probably many years away since there is enormous cost and only a little benefit. ABS is not brake-by-wire (it's still hydraulic) and EPS is not steer-by-wire (it still has a mechanical link).

But yes, your point remains the same: newer engines are harder to swap.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Very nitpicking.

13. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Check the back issues of 4Wheel & Offroad magazine...they did a build up last year, putting a 6.0L into an early 80's K5. Worked pretty good and wasn't too difficult from what I remember. Had to do some fabricating for the engine mounts as well different exhaust manifolds but if you have the tools and the ability it shouldn't be too difficult. www.4wheeloffroad.com go to the Chevy page and the links are in the "how to" section. Price for a crate 6.0L looks a bit steep though, a bit over $5g's...but I guess if you could find a wrecked one it could be cheaper.

14. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Found something today that might be of interest to you. It's in the 03-27-06 issue of Truck Trader out of Phoenix...."2002 Vortec Motor, 5.3L, 38K mi, runs strong, I have all the computer controls w/it, baby on the way, must sell ASAP, $1200 obo, call 602-577-5855." He may still have it, who knows. Just thought I would pass it along.

15. nau81blazer

Hey thanks for the reply. Maybe i'll check that out. Thanks again for all the info guys!

--Adam

16. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, you are really nitpicking! By the way, we will probably never see a full drive by wire as you state it to be because federal laws require a "mechanical connection" for steering and braking controls.

17. 94yukon

94yukon 1/2 ton status

I have a 94 yukon i love the t.b.i. im chasing wiring ghosts the fuel pump is new sometime it turns on some time it dont it works for hours or 3mins im showing a knock senser code i have a turbo 350 behind it so it thinks its in d2 any ideas? should i get a diff ecm? it also rev limits at 4000

18. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Its not literally drive-by-wire, but thats what its called at dealerships, carclubs, and anywhere else out there that works with them. Two years ago, I actually swapped a 6.0/4l80e/np241 out of an 01 chevy 2500 into my 91 v10 blazer. I had a z06 cam and alluminum heads with port work installed with blowmaster exhaust, redid the wiring harness myself, had the computer flashed and tuned and it ran like a raped ape. From a roll I could keep up and edge out new mustang gts', partially because it was a stripper scottsdale model, and weighed a little over 4400 lbs with about 400 hp @ the wheels. Fun truck, but sold it last year to move on to another project. Currently I am looking at putting a duramax or a cummins into my m1008. If you would like some more info just pm me and I will get you all the details of the swap.

Regards,
    Remington