Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fuel injection....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jan 21, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i might be goingto look at a 88 k5..and since its an 88...its got fuel injection..TBI im ganna say!??...the guy says its got a new tranny..but has not ban ran in quite a while. asked him about the body...says its pretty much solid but for the tail gate...and i happen to have a rust free shell...(but ill have to check this all out for my self of course..being in this area!!) but anyway....what kind of problems could come from a fuel injected truck not being ran in a while??

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

the tbi is just about bulet prof and will have only minor problems like if the bat is dead the ecm will have to relearn how to run so the engine may not run well for a few minuets. I would be more concerbed about the new auto trans and its seals drying up or the engine rusting. but all these thing take along time[6 mounths or better] to happen.

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

If the gas is over 6 months old it should be replaced and the lines flushed. Not much else except maybe cobwebs in the distributor and rats eating on the plug wires.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Bought my 88 new.Only prob so far was throttle body gasket leaking caused high idle after buot 200,000 miles.Run good injector cleaner in couple tanks of gas.Over 450,000 miles now,still going strong.Normal maint and timing gear assem at bout 300,000 only repairs.GOT A GOOD ONE !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

true. The extra air is also leaning out your A/F ratio. I also learned about that. the 3 bolts are also supposed to be torqued to a wimpy 13 foot pounds on the throttle body.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The TBI is a good system. You most likely wont have to even worry about it.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

coo lthanx guys..ill let you know what comes up if i look at it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif