Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fuel Injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Oct 3, 2003.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Hi all,

I own an '85 Blazer and the motor is tired. I just bought another car for a daily driver for a while. I figured I might as well park the Blazer and do a motor swap. I want to do a fuel injected smog legal motor. I live in CA so smog is important. My question is... Where do I start with this whole fuel injection process ? I am trying to stick to a budget if at all possible. What parts do I need to look for ? I am guessing this is a TBI system ? Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nick

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Start with a donor rig that has the engine, computer, and harness that you want.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You might have a tough time going FI in Calif. Most all aftermarket FI systems carry the disclaimer "May Not legal in Calif". You should do some research before you do the swap.
    I would talk to these guys:http://www.turbocity.com
    They are a california based conpany and have lots of experience with FI in calif.Im sure they can help you build one that will pass smog. They make very good reliable bolt on TBI FI kits based on the stock GM system.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In CA, I would most definitely look for a donor TBI truck or a TPI car.

TBI truck because you know everything will bolt right on, since the truck is already down, you could rewire it and have no problems.

TPI because it rocks. Not as simple or "easy", but more rewarding in the end. Actually probably easier to come by a complete TPI unit than an '87-91 TBI truck setup.

The only laws that you need to adhere to so it is legal, is that the engine needs to have been available in that vehicle (5.7 or 5 liter, no problem) and all the emissions stuff needs transferred. Also not really a problem, since EVAP,AIR, etc., is all the same idea/bolt on to a truck.